Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeStuff eligiblity...please note!

Exclamation FreeStuff eligiblity...please note!

FreeStuff eligiblity...please note!

Only properly registered Contributors are eligible to win FreeStuff drawings. "Members "are not eligible. User names must include their real first and last names in accordance with our Terms Of Service (TOS).
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 06-22-2008 at 7:31 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hi Glenn,

People may be confused as the forum is titled "SawmillCreek promotional drawings - Free to Registered Members!"

That's a good point! It's just been over looked in the change. "Open to current contributors" could be a more accurate description now. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Good point Robert...I'll ping Keith about it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks guys for the ping on the head. I have so many little changes to make as we continue to adjust to the new model including a revision of our Terms of Service that has been pending for months now. I made the change to the FreeStuff Forum description this morning.

We have been accepted by Google for their "Google Ads" program, Aaron is working on incorporating them now. We applied for Amazon Affiliate status yesterday and hope it won't be long before we are approved. There is a lot of activity behind the scenes lately combined with a busy personal schedule there has been little time to rest for the last six weeks. I am happy to see things slowing down a bit over the last few days and I really hope that my schedule will return to normal very soon.

Confused about freestuff. When a new freestuff thread is posted, do contributors need to post an "I'm in" reply to be eligible for the drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    Confused about freestuff. When a new freestuff thread is posted, do contributors need to post an "I'm in" reply to be eligible for the drawing?
    Danny...Good question. Only if it is an "opt in" drawing. These are focused drawings that people who wouldn't enjoy the item and/or care to win.

Here are a couple that you are required to opt in on ...
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74033
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75630

Now...we also like to thank those who give away stuff...so you'll notice many just say thanks!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks, Glen. I appreciate the clarification.

So to recap...

properly registered CONTRIBUTORS are automatically entered to win free stuff drawings, unless the drawing states it is an "opt-in" drawing.

'Regular' "free-stuff" drawing do not require Contributors to do anything to be eligible.

If this is incorrect, please correct me.

Rick,

Your correct.

I still don't think most folks understand this because I see a ridiculous amount of "count me in" posts. If someone wants to say thanks to the donator I understand and encourage that, but many many posts are just "count me in" when it isn't necessary. I find that I'm checking out the threads too often only to see another "count me in". I don't have an answer or suggestion to correct this however.

Rick,
    You have a good point. I am trying to get my brain around this and have a problem.

I want the people/company/group who want to donate to feel that the donation is appreciated. I also want the SMC contributors to feel appreciated. So...Do I just advertise the giveaway and close the thread? Or do I let people express their appreciation to the donor. Yes people chiming in is somewhat "boring"...but it makes the donor feel appreciated.

This IS tough...but I'm open for comment.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Here's my $0.02.

Make it clear in the announcement post that a FreeStuff drawing is non-opt-in. Then also note that if anyone posts a "count me in" type response, their name will be removed from the eligibility list. In addition, anyone who thanks the FreeStuff provider will be entered twice (unless they also post a "count me in"-type comment).

This should give you something useful to do, Glenn, as I know how you've complained in the past that you moderators get paid too much and are bored because you don't have enough to do.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I think you should make a statement in the post that all contributors are eligible like Jason said.

But if people don't read or otherwise want to say count me in or thank you, let them. In my opinion it draws some extra attention to the company with the contribution, which is well deserved. An extra new/unread post is a small price to pay for giving that company a little bit of extra notice.

I guess on each drawing announcement you will need to state at the top : OPT IN or All Contributers are Automatically Entered in this Drawing.

Should stop any confusion anyone has.
    One good turn deserves another