Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basement Shop, Heavy Tools

For me, 2by4 skids and a small 4 part block and tackle and an eye thru the frame above the basement door work well to slide things up and down the stairs, Long lumber goes in thru a basement window. the hard part is there is only about a foot between the bottom of the stairs and a basement wall. back when I was younger I used to bring 4 by8 sheets of plywood down the stairs, I hinged the railing so it will swing outa the way to let stuff go off the side of the stairs, I made a clothes line in the basemeent and I use the sq tubing frame to hook to, to lower heavy stuff over the side of the stairs to the floor. Always wanted to build an elevator, I have a spare 10,000 lb capacity tulsa winch I picked up for that purpose, just never got it done.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 01-17-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Well, I reckon this thread has about run its course. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, suggestions, and encouragement. You have definitely given me some ideas, and more importantly I think you have convinced me that what I want to do is not a big deal.

I'm glad I found this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    I wish I could get that deal here. I bought my bandsaw at WC, and will also get the SawStop from them (being the only dealer around here). Unfortunately, last I checked they would only do liftgate to my driveway. Maybe I'll swing by tonight on the way home and ask again.
    When I checked on buying my SawStop from my Woodcraft they only offered to help me put it on my truck. That was it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    I have a dilemma. I am trying to get started in the power tool arena of woodworking. I currently have a 14" bandsaw, 10" SCMS, and 2.5 HP cyclone for dust collection.

I want to acquire "the big three": table saw, jointer, and planer. My problem is that work area is in my basement, and there is no walkout access. Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing

I want to invest in solid, quality tools that will last me a good long time. Sadly, this usually means heavy. How do I get these things into my basement?

The options I can think of:

• Get smaller, lighter tools, like contractor grade instead.
    • Try to wrestle the items down the existing stairs. This option frankly scares the heck of out me.
    • Install a basement egress like Bilco (estimate is around $8,000 to do this). Still have to get the tools down the stairs.
    • Use the garage. I don't want to use the garage - it's only a 1-car space, I like to park there, and winter is way too cold here in WNY.
    • Disassemble tools and move piece-by-piece. I believe I've read some recommendations against doing this, as they may not be able to be re-assembled to factory specs.
    • Move to a location that has either a walkout basement or room for an additional ground-level structure. This is fraught with the obvious complexities and expenses.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one in the situation. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike

Go for the bilco doors now. You can get BIG tools and lumber in now and BIG projects out later. Plus later when you arn't single you will have access to the dog house with out going through the main house.

Randy