Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who makes the best ear protection?

You can also check out Mettam Safety. They have a ton of types of not only hearing protection but everything safety.

Pillow Soft Earplugs

Hi, I just wanted to add something about Pillow soft earplugs made by
    Mack's. I have never been able to wear any type of ear plugs, including the soft sponge type and the rubbery one that looks like minature discs,
    since I have narrow ear canals. My wife brought Macks plugs and they are like playdough and actually conform to your ear channel.
    They work under water for swimming too. I even use their kid's size.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I have a set of muffs from Peltor but this week while at a very loud manufacturing facility I've been using a pair of Bilsom Thunder T3's that they provided. They are nice because you can hear someone talking but quieted the noise of the equipment. They are also quite comfortable. Amazon actually carries them, but they told me to bring them home since hygeine rules prevent their reuse.
    The link I posted also has that earmuff on the page.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've got a pair of these http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...99&cat=1,42207 from Lee Valley and I like them plenty. I can plug my phone/mp3 player into them and use them to listen to podcasts or answer the phone.

I wear eye glasses and I wonder what effect that has on hearing protection. The temple going under the pad must let some sound in. Is that a real factor? I've tried in the ear plugs and haven't found them either more effective or comfortable.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I don't know about the best ones, but after trying many of them, from single use plugs to full headsets, I settled on these. The work well if you wear glasses.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/leight/6003/

I ended up most comfortable with the QE2's.

If you have a sportsmans shop near by, the are likely to have some great ear protection. I do not recall the brand off hand, but I use the ones from my shooting days and they work extremely well and are very comfortable. I can even converse with them on yet the muffle out anything loud. Will look up brand when I have a chance

Peltor for me.

Who makes the best ear protection?

Let me suggest you go to the following location. It is a thread that has the best info I have seen on the subject of hearing protection. In addition, it refers to an article that contains actual test data on hearing protection devices. There's a lot a very poor and misleading info on this subject

www.woodmagazine.com, click on Forums, go to the General Woodworking, and do a serach on "Hearing Protection"
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-17-2009 at 1:53 PM. Reason: direct link to another forum prohibited by T.O.S.
    Howie.........

Wow I only expected a couple of responses thanks so much for all the great info. I’m going to post a related question about respirators.

I've used these for years for any thing loud Gun shooting, auto races, and wood working.

Certified NRR of 27dB

About $30.00