Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop Feedback anyone?

Smile Saw Stop Feedback anyone?

I just looked over the Saw Stop TS today closely, man it looks like a much better saw than I thought, am I right? The blade tilt and raise and lower was by far the smoothest I've seen. the guy at Woodcraft said that the trunion alone on the saw weighted more than just about any other brands complete saw. the fence was very nice and seemed to me to much tighter then the Bessemeyer, and smother too. Does anybody out there own one? If so how do you like it? The woodcraft guy where I was has sold about 25, he said 2 of them have had the bade stop set off with no injuries. It looked really impressive, What do you guys think? Of course the price is pretty impressive too. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Dale

I have one, a 5HP model. It is a very impressive machine. It was an upgrade from a Delta Unisaw. From what I can tell it is superior in just about every way, but then again at more that 2 times the cost it should be.

My saw was precisely set-up straight out of the crate. I have been very happy with it although the price tag makes you swallow hard. Hopefully I will never need the safety features but it is sure nice having them.

Haven't had a need for their customer service so I can't comment on that, I have heard good things through.

Blog Entries
    I just did a search here on Saw Stop and got 2,700 hits ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mac How long have you had it? The cost is tough, but figure in the cost of one little oops, ...........

I didn't know the saw was that good, Did you have to assemble it? How did you unload it and put it together?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I just did a search here on Saw Stop and got 2,700 hits ;-)
    And only 2600 of those had to be closed by the mods
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

I've had mine for a couple of years and it is a terrific saw. But, my previous saw was an old Delta contractor saw, so moving to any cabinet saw is going to be a nice jump. Any of the top cabinet saws will give you many years of service. I chose the Sawstop not just because of the safety but because it had a nice on/off switch, a little larger table, and a little better fit and finish. But again, any of the top saws will give equal performance.
    Ken

I've had mine for six months and love it. My only other saw was the Ridgid portable contractor saw, so I don't know how it compares to other cabinet saws. The saw was perfect right out of the box. I have the 3 hp, shorter table and it is plenty big for me.

The portable stand is also a must have. Expensive, but you're investing so much anyway why not go all the way.

My other reasoning is I thought it would retain its value better than some of the other saws out there, although I have nothing to support that - I just assumed as much. We'll see, if and when I ever have to sell it.

Roger

I have a SS cabinet saw.

Yes, the SS is really an impressive tool.

The brake system is just a part of the cost. Fit and finish, the trunnions, the micro switches on the doors, the hydraulic mobile base, the extension table, riving knife, the riving knife with blade guard and palls, the saw blade, the fence, etc all add to the price.

It is a wonderful saw and a joy to use and yes I would buy it again.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Morris View Post
    the guy at Woodcraft said that the trunion alone on the saw weighted more than just about any other brands complete saw.

Dale
    That's just plain xxxxx. The Sawstop 3HP and the Powermatic 3HP weigh roughly the same.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-17-2009 at 4:09 PM.

I was in the market for some new tools and recently purchased a PM2000. I looked at Sawstop - seemed like a good saw with an interesting idea. Safety is no-doubt important to me but the somewhat arbitrary limitations placed on the owner by Sawstop put me off. In short, I like moulders. You can’t run them on the Sawstop unless you put in the jury-rigged wire fix as mentioned somewhere else here on SMC. Frankly, you should be able to turn the protection ALL THE WAY OFF. But, YOU CAN‘T! Now I wonder what will happen in years to come when Sawstop is out of business? I guess someone will then make a kit to disable the mechanism or explain how to totally remove it. Maybe some Chinese factory will make the brake cartridges? That would be an interesting crap-shoot!

What follows is the text of an email that I got from Sawstop regarding the moulder issue (Dec 5, 08):

It is true that our saw will not work with the magic molder. The
    electronics in our saw checks the proximity of the blade to the brake
    cartridge before it will allow the saw to be turned on. Since the magic
    molder only has 4 cutting tips, this initialization will not complete
    successfully. Our saw has a "bypass mode" that allows the saw to run
    without the protection of the braking system so that you can cut
    aluminum or pressure treated lumber or other materials that have
    conductive qualities, but it still has to complete the initialization in
    order to be used in "bypass mode". I cannot recommend that you use a
    work around to make the saw run with the magic molder although it is not
    difficult. It is not consistent with our intention of providing the
    user with protection of the SawStop. It is our desire, of course, that
    after you weigh all the pros and cons, you would still decide that the
    benefits of our saw far outweigh those of any other saw.

Mark

Dale, I have a 5 hp SawStop and really love it. It's been in my shop for several years now. After showing my wife the videos on their website she told me to buy one. As the guy you spoke to at Woodcraft said, the SawStop is a very substantial saw and is well made. I have an Incra fence on mine so I can't answer your questions about the fence. As Mark states there are other saws in the same class that include the Powermatic 2000.

You might like to do a search here on Sawmill Creek for threads about the saw, but be aware that it has its critics. Some people got very upset that the inventor tried to get the government to mandate the technology. Like was mentioned above there are thousands of hits when you search and many of those threads ended up being locked because of the rhetoric over the politics of the saw, not its quality and design. If you search through the threads I'd suggest that you look at the more recent ones because they will have more posts from those of us who actually own one and that seems to be what you're looking for. Mark does bring up one drawback of the saw. It can't be used with molders. That doesn't bother me, but for someone like him it was an important issue. The only thing that I've noticed is a similar one. The arbor length limits the width of dado blades that can be used. This may be limited due to the width of the dado brake. Since I don't intend to use molders with my table saw and I don't plan to do a lot of dado work with it because I prefer to use a router, I don't mind those limitations.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have a 3 HP SS. I struggled with the "which cabinet saw" decision for almost a year. The SS and the PM2000 were on my shortlist. The clincher for me was that my I have a 5 year old who enjoys spending time in the shop. One day (when he's old/mature enough), if he is still interested, I will teach him how to use the TS. I could never forgive myself if he had an accident that could have been avoided if I had spent an extra $1-2000.

FWIW, if I thought that the risk were only ever going to be to me, I probably would have gone with the PM. Having said that, I love my SS - it is the smoothest TS that I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch View Post
    That's just plain xxxx. The Sawstop 3HP and the Powermatic 3HP weigh roughly the same.
    Yup, salesman at work.

I own the contractor Saw Stop and have never heard anyone have quality issues with the cabinet saw.

BTW they are introducing basically a "cabinet saw light" later this year with a lower price. If you aren't in a rush that could be an option. But the full size cabinet saw is as good as any out there.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-17-2009 at 4:10 PM.

sold my jet cabinet saw and bought the 3hp ss love it

Fortunately for me I had no choice in buying the SS cab saw. Like Don, my wife saw the videos and I must say, quite forcefully told me to buy one.
    It replaced my 3HP General.