Thread: Mason Jar spray gun

Mason Jar spray gun

has anyone used the mason jar spray gun that lee valley has in their catalog. If so was it any good

I just heard about this gun recently and would love to hear about it too.

If this is the one that I'm thinking of, it originally debuted as the "Critter" for $35. Very simple, no frills, siphon design.

What are you looking to do with it? I think it would be fine for spraying glue.

I would like a small gun to do touchups with and do small laquer jobs onsight. Also anything else it is capable of. It says in the discription it will do about anything but just wanted to hear from someone who has used it. I have a little emglo 2hp compressor that I take to instillations and I've tried other guns with it but it just wont cut it. will my small 4cfm @90psi compressor handle it.
    thanks,
    Jason

Most likely your small compressor will not handle it, at least not for more then 4 feet at a time. It would drive an airbrush just fine, most likely.

I have a reduced pressure, HVLP compliant spray gun hat only requires 8.4 CFM to operate. It's a SATA LM2000 with a 2 quart remote pot. The smallest compressor I could find to run the gun onsite was a 17 gallon unit with a 5.5HP Honda gas engine (I wanted gasoline, not electric). Everything combined was over $2K (purchased at different times), but I am able to achieve furniture quality lacquer finishes onsite. I have a real gun with real adjustments and plenty of air to not have to wait on the compressor. I tried spraying lacquer with a smaller-than-it-should-have-been compressor, and since I had to wait on the compressor, I could not keep a wet edge when spraying.

That mason jar thingy may do a good enough job for you, and if you have the bucks to spare, buy it and try it. Worst case, you could use it for spot-spraying pesticides later!

http://users.imag.net/~lon.critterspray/

this is a link to the critter spray gun sight If it sprays with any quality it looks like it will do exactly what I want it to. If it handles stains like it says it will it would be worth it just for that. Im going to take the plunge I will post when I can test it out.

I have one that I have used for years to apply a clear coat to fish mounts that I do in Taxidermy. The beauty of the spray gun is the pint sized mason jars for the paint cup. You can easily seal the cup if you are using different finishes like a pearl coat or clear shellac, ect. It is really a simple design and seems to be holding up fine for me. I use it to spray a finish on the placques for the mounts as well. It uses more air than the airbrush, but my 3/3 hp C-H compressor keeps up just fine.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Critter Spray gun

I have one, have used it for about three years now.
    Works Great. I've used it with my small compressor and have sprayed all kinds of paint and finishes with it.
    It's a good by.
    I also buy the pint mason jars with lids and store unused finish in them.
    worth the money.
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thaxton
    http://users.imag.net/~lon.critterspray/

this is a link to the critter spray gun sight If it sprays with any quality it looks like it will do exactly what I want it to. If it handles stains like it says it will it would be worth it just for that. Im going to take the plunge I will post when I can test it out.
    I recently purchased an Ingersol Rand touch-up gravity feed spray gun at Lowe's for about 50 bucks. It is excellent with my small compressor. And I would recommend it to anyone for touch-ups or small to medium projects. It is a pretty good gun. Let us know how that one turns out for you.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez