Thread: Tailstock holder/outboard turning stand

Tailstock holder/outboard turning stand

I decided to start a new thread base on Burt Alcantara’s questions about the tilt-away systems for the 3520B. I don’t like them because, as some members mentioned, the tailstock is still there and potentially in the way. I move the headstock down to the end for final turning, vacuum chucking and sanding. Frequently I am standing (or sitting, if I’m sanding) right at the end of the lathe or even on the back side. The enclosed photos show three variations on the tailstock holder/outboard turning stand. Very easy to make and to slide out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TB

Why paint the mustard monster blue!!!

I think all and any option that is similar to these would do just fine! I need to make one that is an extention also. Just more projects to get to!

Thanks for the info!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Dang Jeff thats pretty obvious isnt it?? That yellow mustard aint the prettiest color in the world!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

The third one isn't connected. It looks as if you'll still have to lift and transfer it. Having said that it also looks like you can outboard with the tail stock which would really be great.

Alex

very nice, have to say, i like the idea of having an outboard turning rest that i can put the banjo and everything right onto. the last pic (blue one) looks like it would have the wieght and "sturdyness" to be a great outboard rest. now all i have to do is find a welder to lend a hand.

Thomas,
    Couldn't be a more timely post. Have to agree that of all the options, this seems to be the most expedient, cost effective and practical approach of all I've seen so far.

Thanks,
    Burt

Here is what i did works great never in my way turning at that end! Got idea fron mustard monster site Ray Lanham design . George
    Attached Images Attached Images

I played around with one like this but never turned with it.

Could not see how the tail stock would not be in the way when you brought the head stock down to the end?

I placed the head stock about a foot from the end -- leaving enough space for the tool rest to work as when working on a hollow form. I found the tail to be blocking my right arm when it would pivot to the right.

I figured it could work if you used an outboard turning setup - is that what you do?