Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going down the list

Dewey - I use the 8" disks and - for me - they work great! The big thing here is the headstock on my lathe can move all the way to the far right side - so I can buff turnings without having to worry about clearance. With the mini-lathe - you will not be able to move the headstock. The disks come in 2 sizes - 8" and 4". The buffing balls come in 2", 3" and 4" sizes and are primarily used for buffing the insides of bowls. For most of the work you are going to start off with - I would think the smaller wheels would work out great.

Hopefully, Ken or someone with experience on the mini-lathes can provide some more info!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Turning "aprons"

Turning smocks are good things. They keep dust and chips in the shop where they belong and out of pockets. I have a friend who use a couple of pieces of cloth and some tape to make some spats to cover the laces of his Nikes. Keeps the chips out of the shoes and again, leaves them in the shop where they belong.

Find one that is appropriate for your climate/workspace situation. Remember, no long sleeves to get caught in the machinery. My shop is pseudo heated but not cooled for summer. I have a homemade smock out of nylon. It breathes pretty well so I don't overheat in winter and so that I only sweat a little in summer. Too much sweating for me and the chips stick to me and EVERYthing. Does not make momma happy when this big dog comes up and shakes near the rugs.

And we all know that when momma ain't happy, ain't NObody happy.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Dewey,

If you can swing it, go here and get the 1100 RPM $189 buffer (I caught mine on sale for $99). Also get your buffs from Caswell. If you watch their sales, you can sometimes get a buy one get one free or even better and happen on a deal like I did at one time, buy one get 2 free. Their buffing wheels are exactly the same as the Beall ones, but a lot less expensive. I got the wheels and such about 3 years ago and I have yet to wear out any of them.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dewey...with reference to Steve's buffing information....I'd get the individual 8" buffing wheels and the #2 Morse taper adapter for the wheels. Initially I had the 3-on-1 and recently bought the individual buffs and the adapter. With the 3-on-1...the other 2 wheels get in your way when you are buffing bowls and HFs etc. Granted you have to change wheels on each project but it only takes a few seconds and you don't find yourself limited by the proximity of the adjoining buffing wheel.

I'd get either the 3" or the 4" bowl buffs. I bought the 2" and find them handy for small lidded boxes but too small for bowls etc.

Now back to crating that thing up.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dewey,
    I just purchased the Beall Wood Buff from my local Woodcraft for $70, and all I can say is wow. These things are great on my Jet mini 1014vs. This is the version with three separate 8" wheels, but they are very easy to change. The Morse taper adapter has to be bought separately and is $12. This system is well worth it. I'd like to get into bowls sometime this year, and a bowl buff set will definitely be purchased.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Ok guys thanks. I will be back with more newbie questions soon.

Any recommendations on where to buy the smock? Thanks Dean.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"