Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gambel Oak Rootball HF

Gambel Oak Rootball HF

This is turned from an old dry scrub (gambel) oak root ball. The top of the HF is actually the bottom of the root ball, the tree grew out of the bottom of the HF. So what I'm saying is it's oriented upside down. It's 7.5" tall, 8" diameter, 3/8" thick sides, a little thicker in the bottom. The wood was hard as a rock but the bark and voids held together pretty good. Just Danish Oil on it so far. The last pic shows kind of an interesting spiral cracking pattern on the bottom where the tree grew out of the root ball.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 01-19-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Newbie question

Curt and all,
    Please forgive me for a stupid question but when you guy turn the natural edges and HFs with voids how do you keep the chisel from catching the holes / edges?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Oh ... and VERY NICE!
    Dewey

very beautiful. great piece

Speed!

Reply to Dewey: When the blank is spinning and your put the tool to the wood you have to keep the forward motion to a minimum or it will catch. Once it is roughed out and the weight more equalized the lathe can be sped up so the voids are moving so fast that you don' have much time to get a catch. You still can try and take to big a cut and that will cause trouble. So it boils down to light cuts and proper speed to maintain good contact with the wood. Cutting air is fun!

You must have a huge binder full of notes and techniques my now! It will take you years do do one of each thing!!

Have fun!

Curt, That is a grat piece! You are a man after my own heart, I love turning the goofy stuff!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Curt - Love it! Excellent job on form and keeping all that bark! I like the danish oil for the finish. As rough as all the inclusions are, a gloss finish would seem out of place. But then again, it would make for a great contrast! This piece should make for a great entry into an Art show!

So, where did you get the wood? Just happen to have a shovel with you while out walking around in the woods one day?

Seriously, great looking hollow form! Already saved it to my favorites! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Curt that is a beautiful piece. I love the spiral cracking on the bottom. The finish really sets it off. I probably wouldn't do much more as I think shiney would detract from it. Just my opinion.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful piece there. Love the voids in it. Wood loks vaguely familiar. I actually spent yesterday cutting up an enormous red oak root ball. Has a lot of the same graining as yours. I love the really fine burling from the hair roots. BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

That is just plain beautul. And it comes with built in depth gauges for wall thickness. No calipers needed here!...Bill...

Curt, that is stunning as always!

Bob

design and execution

Very well executed! Your design has caused the piece to speak loudly. It should fly out of any gallery.

Very impressive. I have some catching up to do.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

As usual Curt, a really beautiful piece from a unique piece of wood. Being that this one came from underground, did you have a problem with dirt and rocks? How do you handle it? I haven't had the guts to try a turning from an undergrounder yet. I have enough trouble keeping my tools sharp.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Very impressive, Curt. Out of the ordinary. I like it!
    Be Blessed

George

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Reply to Dewey: When the blank is spinning and your put the tool to the wood you have to keep the forward motion to a minimum or it will catch. Once it is roughed out and the weight more equalized the lathe can be sped up so the voids are moving so fast that you don' have much time to get a catch. You still can try and take to big a cut and that will cause trouble. So it boils down to light cuts and proper speed to maintain good contact with the wood. Cutting air is fun!

You must have a huge binder full of notes and techniques my now! It will take you years do do one of each thing!!

Have fun!

Curt, That is a grat piece! You are a man after my own heart, I love turning the goofy stuff!

Jeff
    Jeff Thanks for reply... Curt, no thread stealing intended just trying to get smart r'
    Dewey