Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-gloat!

Anti-gloat!

A couple of years ago, I bought an ancient Craftsman RAS at a garage sale for $30. It is underpowered, uses odd sized blades, and I can't dado with it without taking the guard off (a stupid and scary thought!). So it's mostly been collecting dust for this whole time.

I was going to try to sell it on Craigslist for about what I paid for it, but then I discovered that there's a safety recall for that saw. They don't have a retro-fit guard for it, so instead they're going to give me $100 to disable my saw.
    Last edited by Porter Bassett; 01-19-2009 at 9:22 PM. Reason: fix link

Dang Porter!!!!

a $70 profit on a POC!!! and you didn't rip the next guy off in the process.

Man I have seen good but that is GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-19-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Now I think I would call that a gloat but then there is no pictures so it couldn't be a gloat.

I would say that is a great deal, what more could you ask for.

Pictures? You want pictures?

3 to 1 gain on your investment. Not bad! I'd take it any day. My 401K could use that type of help.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well, today's your lucky day then. Today only, I'll let you sign your 401K over to me, and I'll work my magic on it.

Can you spell WINDFALL????

Lady Luck is one of my favorite friends - I just see her often enough!

Hey

If someone else buys it, can they get $100 bucks for shutting it down too??

"Buy this saw for $50 - Double Your Investment!!"

Ian
    I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Porter Bassett View Post
    Well, today's your lucky day then. Today only, I'll let you sign your 401K over to me, and I'll work my magic on it.
    You...Madoff...and the latest guy in Florida that just disappeared.....No thanks. I am doing perfectly horrible by myself and......I can always paper the dining room with the stock...
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Looking at the picture of that saw, I'd say it would make a perfect paper weight. Too big? You haven't seen my desk; it would be just about right. Congrats on the free lunch.

Sounds like a USDA subsidy for not growing a crop. Do you have to send them the tool? There are alot of tools out there that should be disabled before they are sold.

I think you just send in the motor and receive the check. I've always thought it would be interesting to pick up one of the saws that doesn't qualify for the retrofit guard, disable the saw by sending in the motor, and then using the $100 to have a bracket fabricated so that the saw chassis could mount a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hess View Post
    I think you just send in the motor and receive the check. I've always thought it would be interesting to pick up one of the saws that doesn't qualify for the retrofit guard, disable the saw by sending in the motor, and then using the $100 to have a bracket fabricated so that the saw chassis could mount a router.
    This idea intrigues me! I have a RAS that I never use--maybe make it into some sort of overarm router?

I'd imagine dust collection would be a beast (as if that were any change from the stock RAS).

I have to send in both the motor and the carriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren View Post
    This idea intrigues me! I have a RAS that I never use--maybe make it into some sort of overarm router?

I'd imagine dust collection would be a beast (as if that were any change from the stock RAS).

I'm in the process of doing that very thing right now with the same saw. The motor on mine is long gone. I'll keep you posted when I finish the project. I've seen other overarm routers that people have built from old RAS chassis that worked very well.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"