Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neander workbench construction blog/thread

Neander workbench construction blog/thread

After more than a year of wishy washying me and Dennis finally decided that it was about time to build a couple of work benches. So this is the thread in which I will track my progress and ask y'all for advice. Dennis has more space so he is thinking a full 96", while I am garage constrained so mine will be 60"

I have read Chris Schwarz's book as well as Scott Landis'. Ideally I want a combination of a roubo and a traditional bench. I really like the leg vise and a tail vise combo. The problem is I already have the hardware for a front vise and a tail vise, so for me to incorporate the leg vise would require selling the front vise hardware. It will be hard to sell it locally (small town few nenderthals) and the weight is prohibitive for shipping. I am also going to build cabinets under the bench, despite opposition from Chris.

Still working on the drawings, transferring to a paper that is, I have all the details in my head.

With that I would like to fire off the first few questions.

1. I want my bench to be disassemblable for portability. I can use bolts on the stretchers, but how should I attach the top to the lower frame so that it can be taken off and accomodates the seasonal movement of the top as well. The top will be red oak, while the rest of the frame is going to be ash.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 01-19-2009 at 5:05 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

As a total newbie, I can't help with your questions, but I'm looking forward to the blog/progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    The problem is I already have the hardware for a traditional front vise and a tail vise, so for me to incorporate the leg vise would require selling the front vise hardware. It will be hard to sell it locally (small town few nenderthals) and the weight is prohibitive for shipping.
    Zahid, I am not sure I understand how already having a traditional front vise precludes you from changing your mind and actually building what you want. Why not just hang on to the vise you currently have? I bought a Record vise some years back, but I have also changed my mind as to what I now want. I will keep the Record and be happier with what I now want for my bench. I suspect that another bench will be in my future that I can use the Record for. It just seems to me that you are really interested in the leg vise. I say go for it. Hope you don't mind the input.

I wanted my top removable as well. I bolted a skirt on my slab top (see below). The top drops over four tenons at the top of the legs. I have four of the lag bolts (two on each long side) located so they intersect holes drilled in the tenons. Almost like a drawbore only easily disassembled. It's solid as a rock too. My bench is only 60" long and it works out well. I'd rather have 96" but don't have the space. Probably a good thing for my back as the 60" top is almost 4" thick and weighed a ton.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-19-2009 at 3:16 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Zahid, I am not sure I understand how already having a traditional front vise precludes you from changing your mind and actually building what you want.
    Let's start with money, a leg vise will require me buying new hardware. At the same time I can't justify a front vise sitting in my shop hoping to get used at some point. Ideally someon would say "hey I'll buy your front vise" and I will use the money to buy the hardware for a leg vise.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

The problem is I already have the hardware for a traditional front vise and a tail vise, so for me to incorporate the leg vise would require selling the front vise hardware.
    What do you refer to as a traditional front vise? I've never heard of a traditional front vise. Most I have seen are more modern metal vises.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Rob, I can't beleive how big that Veritas twin screw vise is. I have been thinking about the concept of dropping the top on dowels at the top of the legs. Just not sure how that will accomodate seasonal movement of the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    What do you refer to as a traditional front vise? I've never heard of a traditional front vise. Most I have seen are more modern metal vises.
    that's what I meant to say, a modern cast iron front vise.

Please keep us updated Zahid. I love a good workbench thread. Someday I'll replace the Norm designed model I built 15 years ago. I could use the inspiration.

Zahid, my Nubench will have a leg vise, a patternmakers vise, 2 old cast iron school vises, a wagonbox vise and a front vise, plus a 10 inch apron full of holes (another form of vise) and the top will be full of holes so I can use my wedge vise system. Thats a total of 8 vises and its only 5 ft long by 27 inches wide, you can't have enough vises. I also have my grandfathers offset jaw wagon makers vise I may drill holes in the top for so I can bolt it on if needed.

Jr.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

11. Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    I have been thinking about the concept of dropping the top on dowels at the top of the legs. Just not sure how that will accomodate seasonal movement of the top.
    I did this with my workbench, however, rather than a dowel at each corner, I just did one on each side assembly in the center. All you're trying to do is keep it from sliding around so you really only need one on each side.

... how should I attach the top to the lower frame so that it can be taken off and accomodates the seasonal movement of the top as well. The top will be red oak, while the rest of the frame is going to be ash.

I am certainly no expert on benches, but I can tell you what I did.
    I have a Leg Vice with the jaw face flush with the front edge of the top. In my case I used three lag screws on each set of legs. The front two lag screws (the ones closest to the edge with the vice) go through snug fitting round holes, while the middle and rear screws go through slotted holes. My thought was that this would keep the front edge flush with the leg vise while allowing the rear to move.

My bench has other problems, but have not had any noticeable problems from seasonal movement .

-Jeff

Jeff, I like your idea I think it will work. Onother thing I don't like about the concept of dropping the top on two or four dowels it that it makes moving the table around the shop much more difficult as you can't pick up the bench from the top

So, Zahid, Tell us more about the front vise. Where you got it, maybe post a pic. You never know . . .

Blog Entries
    My thoughts are in line with Harry, find a place for the vice on another part of the bench. My bench stands free, so wood can be worked from all sides. Sometimes it would come in handy to have a another vise strategically placed.

Like Harry said, you can't have too many vises, but maybe one should try to keep oneself to only one or two vices.

jim