View Poll Results: Which demonstrator(s) would go to see?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jimmy Clewes

46 70.77%
  • Nick Cook

27 41.54%
  • Cindy Drozda

35 53.85%
  • Alan Lacer

38 58.46%
  • Mark St. Leger

15 23.08%
  • Keith Tompkins

11 16.92%
  • Bonnie Klein

27 41.54%
  • Dwight Klaus

5 7.69%
  • Hans Finsterwalder

6 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which demonstrators would you go to see?

Which demonstrators would you go to see?

Okay, I'm taking a day off work so I can attend the 2009 Desert Woodturning Roundup. My question: Which of the nine demonstrators should I make sure to see? (Unfortunately, I don't know which topics each will be demonstrating.) Please respond to the poll (if I can get that to work) and comment below on why you would make time to see a particular demonstrator.

For demonstrator bios, go here: http://www.desertwoodturningroundup....nstrators.shtm
    Last edited by David Walser; 01-19-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Id love to see Cindys technique up close, the tuned boxes w/finials she does are simply amazing!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Cindy is comming to my club on the 31st of this month.
    Looking forward to it.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I would like to see nearly any of these demonstrators . The only one I can say would be a must see from personal experience is Mark St.Ledger. I attended two of his demos at SWAT in October and was very impressed. I have done very little turning,mainly pens,but after attending his demo I set myself a goal to advance my turning to the point a can make one of his rock a bye boxes before the next SWAT meeting next fall. I feel the way he inspired me says a lot about how good of a demonstrator he is.

Jimmy Clewes has such a cool way about him!

I have a couple of Jimmy Clewes DVD's and he has a personality on them that I would like to see in person! He seems so down to earth and does things with ease. His eye for style and artistic rendering is very nice.

Cindy is a must because she has such attention to detail and her finials are just breathtaking!

But if you could see them all it would be perfect!

My 2 cents!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I would watch any instructor that I could. But if they are all at the same time I don't know which I would watch.

7. I would go to see Jimmy Clewes because I saw him demonstrate here (Ireland) and I had a 3 hour class with him the next day which was just brilliant. He is straightforward, honest and demystifies turning.

It's unfortunate but with only two rotations each day and three days, you only get to choose six of the nine possibilities. There's going to be some hard choices being made. I hope many of the people coming have seen some of these demonstrators before so they can choose the others they haven't seen.
    I'm part of the commitee putting this together so I'll be working the entire weekend and likely not get to see any of it for more than a few minutes at a time. Maybe I'll absorb it through osmosis.

Correction: It's 3 rotations per day for 2 days. Still 6 rotations total but wanted to clear up any confusion.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin View Post
    It's unfortunate but with only two rotations
    each day and three days, you only get to choose six of the nine possibilities. There's going to be some hard choices being made. I hope many of the people coming have seen some of these demonstrators before so they can choose the others they haven't seen.
    I'm part of the commitee putting this together so I'll be working the entire weekend and likely not get to see any of it for more than a few minutes at a time. Maybe I'll absorb it through osmosis.

If I were in your situation, my choice would be based upon the topic of the demonstration rather than the demonstrator because they are all in the must see category.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Cook View Post
    If I were in your situation, my choice would be based upon the topic of the demonstration rather than the demonstrator because they are all in the must see category.
    I agree. The way the DWR is organized this year, on Friday afternoon there will be a meet and greet with the demonstrators. Each will have the opportunity to describe what they'll be demonstrating. Afterward, the demonstrators will be available for one-on-one questioning/discussion. So, I imagine that's when I'll make up my mind which rotations to attend.

Still, a great topic does not guarantee a great demonstration! Some people don't have the ability to "perform" in front of a crowd. That's why I asked which of these nine people had seen and thought were must see. Sounds like each falls into the must see category, so I'll go by topic.

Blog Entries
    I must admit, the only name that I remotely know is Alan and I know that name because of his skew style. I just don't follow the 'ones' to know in the turning realm. I learn most all my turning from this site and I do frequent some pen sites.

I know what I like when I see it and I could not give you a style of most turnings either. What a great judge I'd make. LOL
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Clark2 View Post
    Correction: It's 3 rotations per day for 2 days. Still 6 rotations total but wanted to clear up any confusion.

Jason
    Good catch Jason. Apparently my muneric lysdexia is acting up.

Thanks to everyone!

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. That was fun.

I know it's not scientific, but it appears good demonstrators have their own videos and that it doesn't hurt to have a British accent.