Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old plane

Question Old plane

Been looking around for a 4.5 plane. Don't have the budget for the LNs, or LVs. Spotted one "decent" one on ebay the other day. Called a Seigley 4-1/2c. Seigley? Iron has a slot that is offset to the side. Single iron, lever cap has a bolt, instead of the flip-up lever. Some wear on the handles. Looking at maybe $21 +S&H. Seigley??

Siegley's are pretty good planes. I have a #5C and a #6C in that make. Or had, I may have sold them, can't remember. Irons take a nice keen edge and they work fine.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

What's the advantage of a 4-1/2 again? Why not just a run of the mill #4?

Rumor has it that a 4-1/2 has a wider iron. About 1/4" to 3/8" wider. About like a short bodied 5-1/2....

Besides, I already have four "Run-of-the-mill" old #4s. Includes a pair of grooved bottom ones...

Blog Entries
    Good luck with finding a 4-1/2 Steven. Mine gets used often. At other times my #3 or one of the #4s gets used.

Wider planes are handy on wider work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Depends on IF I win that auction, or not. Right around $21 + S&H. Find out this weekend..

It'll probably go higher now!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It'll probably go higher now!
    In that case, for Steven's benefit... Siegley planes are terrible. Nobody should ever, ever waste their money on them. They'll kill your dog, burn your house down and steal your car. Bad news, those Siegley planes.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    In that case, for Steven's benefit... Siegley planes are terrible. Nobody should ever, ever waste their money on them. They'll kill your dog, burn your house down and steal your car. Bad news, those Siegley planes.

OK, I wasn't looking for one but now you've talked me into it Zach. Let's see, that's S-i-e-g-l....

I agree with Adam. I convinced myself that I "needed" a 4 1/2 but the extra weight + extra width = more work and no perceivable difference in the surface.

If you insist on a wide-body, you might look for a plane that will at least accept a modern blade should you ever need to. I don't think the Siegley will.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    I agree with Adam. I convinced myself that I "needed" a 4 1/2 but the extra weight + extra width = more work and no perceivable difference in the surface. If you insist on a wide-body, you might look for a plane that will at least accept a modern blade should you ever need to. I don't think the Siegley will.
    You're right, the Siegley won't take a modern blade. Fortunately, it doesn't need one. It will work brilliantly as it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    You're right, the Siegley won't take a modern blade. Fortunately, it doesn't need one. It will work brilliantly as it.
    Your ebay experience must be better than mine--I have received too many pitted blades that needed to be replaced. Just saying.

Ebay planes, with ebay irons, in useSDC13208.jpgSDC12858.jpgSDC13342.jpg maybe I just get lucky???

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cherubini View Post
    What's the advantage of a 4-1/2 again?
    Dunno, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Easier to use as a smoother than the 5-1/2 and the sixes I have been using? I even have a #5 jack set up as a smoother. Maybe a shorter one would be easier to push around?