Thread: Myrtle Burl

Myrtle Burl

A piece made from myrtle burl. Made it to hold the nuts that my wife and I munch on while playing our weekly game of 13 card rummy. (we have had an ongoing tournament lasting 33 years, I am up by 2 games at least!).
    Measures 7 1/4 inches in diameter and about 2 1/2 inches deep. Finish is Cutting board oil..Myrtle Nut Bowl 1a.JPG

Myrtle Nut Bowl 2a.JPG

Myrtle Nut Bowl 3a.JPG

Alan - very nice work on a particularly hard form! Beautiful wood color and grain! Should make quite the display piece!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

AWWW Nuts!

Alan, I have some myrtle burl to turn that a friend of mine brought back from Washington state last fall. His wife's grandfather was a wood worker and it was in the basement, and had been there for years! The slab was 2.5" thich and about 22" around! I had to cut a bunch of bowl blanks out of it and need to turn them for his wife and sister in law. Then I get the rest!

Your nut bowl is just great and the shape is perfect! I can't wait to get turning the stuff I have!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Congratulations!

On your ongoing good relationship, and your mild win streak. That's a very nice bowl too.
    Bob

Steve,
    Thanks, I had fun with it. The grain pattern on the blank looked nothing like what was on the inside. I was quite surprised.

Jeff:
    Good luck. This blank had been knocking around my place for over 3 years and was quite dry. It turned nicely though.

Bob:
    Thanks. Don't ask her though, she will say she is up by a couple...