Thread: What RPMs ?

What RPMs ?

Another newbie!
    I,m also pretty new to woodworking.
    I recently picked up an older 4" jointer with no motor and would like to know at what speed should the cutter head be turning. It has a 2" pulley on it . Should I use a 3600 rpm motor?
    The same thing for a 9" rockwell table saw, the motor on it is a 1725 rpm with a 4.5" pulley .When I got it it did not have the original motor or pulley.
    Thanks in advance!

Motor speed?

Robert, what brand Jointer is it? Model # ? Same for the table saw.

And how old is "older" ?

I am sitting on my kiester and feeling pretty bored while I wait to go back to work in 2 weeks, so if you can give me more info I certainly have time to do some research for you...

BTW welcome aboard.

Troy

Welcome!

All machines are designed to operate with a particular motor speed or range of speed. Obviously if you put a 1750RPM motor on one that originally had a faster spinning one without changing pulleys you reduce the cutter edge speed.

Send some model numbers out and I am sure someone will know. They can race Troy to get an answer.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Gee thanks for that, Joe...

Hi, 4,800 RPM would be a reasonable cutterhead speed for a small jointer made in the last 30 or 40 years.

Similarily, an arbour speed of about 5,000RPM would be suitable for a 9 or 10 inch sawblade. (about 12,000 FPM)

It doesn't matter what RPM the motor is, simply adjust the pulley ratio to yield the correct shaft speed.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-20-2009 at 1:41 PM. Reason: forgot that it was a 9" blade

Did some snooping around...

Robert, without having any idea what you are working with beside the descriptions you gave, I went snooping around.

On your tablesaw: I went looking at a bunch of different 10" manufacturer sites (yes, I know it's a 9" but the rpm at the arbor should be at least close) and the rpms they list as "no-load" rpm range (at least at the ones I looked at) from Powermatic 7.5hp cabinet saw's 3450rpm up to the Hitachi contractor saw's 5000rpm.

Others include:

General Cabinet Saw 4200

Makita Contractor Saw 4600

Jet 3hp Cabinet Saw 4300

Jet 1 1/2hp Contractor Saw 3600

So on your 1725 rpm motor with a 4 1/2" pulley, a 2 inch pulley at the arbor should give you about 3881 rpm.

As for the jointer:

Spooking around I found a figure of 8K and 10k rpm for 4" jointers. Now I was unable to find any 4 inchers that are currently being made other than the Sunhill Machinery Jointer and they list it at 8000 rpm.

With a 3450 rpm motor and a 2" pulley on the cutter head, you would need a 5" pulley on the motor to turn 8625 rpm at the cutter head. I would rec at least a 5/8 hp motor and keep your cuts in the 1/32" area max each pass...

I got all my pulley calculations from http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

Kinda a nice little tool to bookmark.

Anyway I hope that helps you out, Robert.

Good luck with your projects.

Troy

You might even be able to find the owner's manual for your old jointer at the Old Woodworking Machines website:

http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/pubs.aspx

For my older Delta 6" jointer, the manual recommended aiming for a 4500rpm cutter head speed, with an example of a 1725rpm motor and motor:cutter head pulley ratio of 7:2.75.

Matt

RPM,s

Thank-you gentlemen for your quick responses!
    I suspect that the jointer planer is not a "high grade" item.
    There are the remnents of a decal that is mostly gone, although part of one word looks like "jet" but I am not 100% sure. There is the "model 60"
    still in tact. The tool is medium blue in color.
    I could email some pics to anyone who would like to see it.
    The end bearing on the pulley end of the shaft had some slack, so I totally disassembled the unit. The bearing took a bite on the shaft, would it be best to turn down that end of the shaft and use a smaller id with same od bearing? I don,t have in front of me but I think is about 1/2" at that end.

Robert, depending on how attached you are to that 4" jointer, Sunhill Machinery is selling a 4" jointer for $79 new + $30 for shipping to the lower 48 states. Probably not be all that great a unit, but by the time you find a motor, bearings, blades and whatnot, you may be into your current jointer for quite a bit more than that...

http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/SM-100.htm

Just an idea.

Rpms

Thanks again Troy!
    The thing is that I foolishly spent 40 bucks for the thing, and I live in Canada, so If I bought even a cheap planer down there, I would be paying 2?% exchange, customs , 2 taxes and who nows what else...
    I will try to find a cheap good used motor, and change the bearings .
    Its expensive being a Canuck!

Robert, now I can see why you are interested in saving the equipment you have...

You may want to do a search for some of the other posts that mention Canada. There seems to be quite a few good suppliers and manufacturers in The Great White North that may be able to help you out.

You had also mentioned turning down a shaft that had gotten scored from a bad bearing. While it is certainly "doable" you need to determine how much of a load (heavy or light) that shaft is under. If it is a moderate to heavy loading be real careful how much material you take off. The last thing you want is to have a jackshaft or cutterhead shaft fatigue and fail while you are working over it...

Good luck with your project.

Troy