Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arbor Screw Chuck Problem (need help)

I don't think the problem is with the screw chuck. You should be able to put any #2 tapered tools in and have them seat even drills with tangs. This will be a problem down the road. (You will not want to modify all your adapters,collets, centers.) What diameter is the through hole? Seems to me it should be about 5/8". Is the lathe under warrantee? If not, I would drill (ream) the inboard end of the spindle enough to make it work. The taper would still be there, but the smallest end would be clear enough to make any male taper to fit. A machine shop should be able to do this pretty easily and economically (maybe cheaper than sending it back).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    I don't think the problem is with the screw chuck. You should be able to put any #2 tapered tools in and have them seat even drills with tangs. This will be a problem down the road. (You will not want to modify all your adapters,collets, centers.) What diameter is the through hole? Seems to me it should be about 5/8". Is the lathe under warrantee? If not, I would drill (ream) the inboard end of the spindle enough to make it work. The taper would still be there, but the smallest end would be clear enough to make any male taper to fit. A machine shop should be able to do this pretty easily and economically (maybe cheaper than sending it back).
    I wonder if I can convince my wife to allow me to just get a bigger lathe...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Gill View Post
    I wonder if I can convince my wife to allow me to just get a bigger lathe...
    Now you're talkin!!
    I once had a car that wouldnt run right so I fixed it with the radiator cap. I unscrewed it, lifted the cap up, backed the old car out, drove a new car under it and reinstalled the cap. Worked like a charm!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

"I wonder if I can convince my wife to allow me to just get a bigger lathe..."

I'm sure you need a bigger one to make her a big salad bowl - Or that 4 poster bed -or a new staircase - rocking chair, porch posts -----

The simple solution is to buy a larger lathe to go with the arbor screw chuck. You know you're going to buy a larger one eventually and with the economy in the shape it's in, you'll be doing everyone a favor. Look at it as part of the stimulus package. Don't worry, your wife will understand.

Hi Tracy, sorry for taking so long answering, the Delta will accept normal length MT accessories, I made sure of this and tried several that I have, like a Sorby stebcenter a Oneway live center, a couple of other live and drive centers, they all work.
    There is very little extra length in there, so anything beyond that does run into the shoulder, as the headstock opening does get abruptly smaller right past the MT surface.
    I know Oneway has a screw center, what I could not find is what thread the chuck has for a drawbar, I'm not even sure if you want to purchase that one, as you could find out what you do need for it.
    I have a link here if you want to have a look, have fun

http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/screw_chuck.htm

Just one more thing, don't turn with a MT in the headstock that is not secured by either the tailstock pressure or a drawbar, you can get hurt very easily and fast if the MT does come loose, believe me !!
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-22-2009 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Just one more thing
    Have fun and take care