Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do tool covers prevent rust on cast iron?

Do tool covers prevent rust on cast iron?

I apologize if this has been asked/answered before, but do you folks recommend tool covers such as this to prevent rust on your tools (HTC cover on Amazon)?

Other threads say the rust is due to humidity, so I'd like to know if such a cover would help in that situation.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger.

I have never had much luck with those "BBQ covers". My Tablesaws have a layer of cardboard, covered with an old towel that has been sprayed with WD-40, and a piece of 3/8" plywood that cover the tops. Same with my bandsaws. They also have a few layers of Marine paste wax on them too.

My shop is an unheated, non climate controlled garage, I don't even store handtools in my shop because of rust problems. My jointer and planer are susceptible to rust, and I have to keep after them more so.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The covers like what you show will not positively prevent rust on cast iron. Only a coating on the surface will do the job. Many people use Boeshield products or paste wax. If you live in a climate with high humidity, you may have to recoat frequently.

I have one of those covers on my TS and it does prevent rust - reminds others not to put things like drinking cups on my TS .

I spray finish in my garage at times and it works great to protect the table top of the saw.

Mike

Humidity is water vapor in the air, which condenses when it hits something cold (like a cast-iron table top).

I have one of those HTC covers. It works for light humidity, but not if I run the propane heater in the shop. Everything is soaking wet underneath the cover when I do that.

You're better off waxing everything or spray with WD-40, TopCote, Slip-It, etc.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    I apologize if this has been asked/answered before, but do you folks recommend tool covers such as this to prevent rust on your tools (HTC cover on Amazon)?

Other threads say the rust is due to humidity, so I'd like to know if such a cover would help in that situation.

Thanks,

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    ...Other threads say the rust is due to humidity, so I'd like to know if such a cover would help in that situation.
    My completely uninformed opinion, for what it's worth, is that such a cover looks more like a moisture trap than it does a moisture barrier.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I've been using them for 4 years on all my machines. Along with TopCote, they have kept my stuff rust free. I recommend them.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I use old cotton bath towels. Of course these are not just ordinary towels. Each one has black marker on it showing which machine it goes on. I do wax everything on occasion also.

I've got one on my combo sander and BS. The crosscut sled covers most of the CI on the TS so I dont bother for that. They dont work on their own but they help. You'lll still have to periodically use your choice of protection (WD40, TopCoat, Talcum powder, TopSaver, Wax, etc) but I can notice a significant difference in how often I have to use that with the cover on vs. forgetting to cover it after use.
    Use the fence Luke

I have been using these on all my cast iron tools tops for about 7 years. Mainly during the summer when I am not doing much in the shop. No Rust. I also keep[ my tops waxed. However, if you lay pressure treated lumber on top of the cover the moister will get through and cause rust spots in a hurry. Not that I have ever done that. It also helps protect my tools from over spray. Take care.

A cotton sheet is the best cover for machine tools, it prevents dust which draws moisture from collecting on the tool, and any dust should be removed from the machine before its covered, plastic coated or non breathing covers will trap moisture under the cover where it will condense and accumulate on the machine, causing you know what. Waxing the surface on a regular basis will greatly help.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I do think that these covers prevent rust, but not in the manner that you might think.

What these covers do is prevent wood dust from settling on your cast iron surfaces. Wood dust attracts moisture, so that wherever a wood dust particle is sitting is a relatively moist spot, which leads to rust.

Do tool covers prevent rust on cast iron?

I read somewhere that sawdust absorbs moisture and is a big cause of rust on tools. I usually blow the dust off my TS and cover it with a painters tarp but the tarp is for the same reason as Mike. My jointer is never covered and both the TS and jointer are equal condition. I do wax both periodically. Gee, I guess I never answered the question....

For what its worth, Twice in 25 years, after a very cold winter period, warm, moist foggy air moved in and condensed on my *very cold* cast iron tool surfaces. The parts that may have had something covering them survived unrusted. Open surfaces where moisture condensed, RUSTED post haste! I think any covering is better than none, under conditions like these. But that is only TWICE in 25 years. The rest of the time here in Missouri, my cast iron survived without immediately rusting!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    This is probably geographical/environmental as far as benefit. In my desert basin area of SoCal we have minimal humidity issues and I can only speak from my experience. My surfaces pick up rust when dust collects on them which traps the moisture.

There are not many times my machines would be left idle long enough for this to be a problem but prevention beats restoral any day. In my case a brushing off of the surface and then covering it definitely prevents the rust that I used to get. The damage would be like an ink blot of the dust piles so it didn't take a genius (good thing) to figure out the cause.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler