Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do tool covers prevent rust on cast iron?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    For what its worth, Twice in 25 years, after a very cold winter period, warm, moist foggy air moved in and condensed on my *very cold* cast iron tool surfaces. The parts that may have had something covering them survived unrusted. Open surfaces where moisture condensed, RUSTED post haste! I think any covering is better than none, under conditions like these. But that is only TWICE in 25 years. The rest of the time here in Missouri, my cast iron survived without immediately rusting!
    Any cover that breathes is a help. Sheets, towels, or the specially made covers.

I never had a problem with tables rusting in Kansas or Portland, OR. Just waxed them when they got sticky, but never saw any rust.

After moving to Hawaii tools which never had spec of rust on them looked like they were left outside uncovered for six months after one month here. High humidity, salt air, and sulfur from the volcanoes is murder on stuff here.

I now just throw an old towel over the iron when I'm done and I'm using Boeshield and then wax. Still seems like I have to wax every six weeks or so but its far better than scraping rust off the jointer with a razor blade every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    For what its worth, Twice in 25 years, after a very cold winter period, warm, moist foggy air moved in and condensed on my *very cold* cast iron tool surfaces. The parts that may have had something covering them survived unrusted. Open surfaces where moisture condensed, RUSTED post haste!
    Living on the coast and on a lake to boot, we have more than our share of humidity. That topped with wild temperature swings is a recipe for rust.

I've tired every gimmick on the planet and wasted so much money I don't even want to think about it. The only real solution I've found is liberal coats of paste wax and machine covers. I use old bath towels directly over the CI tops. I surmise the towels keep the humid air directly off the cold CI and buffer the temperature changes while it swings through the dew point.

Mike

covers

I use canvas drop cloths on all my cast iron tops, along with generous coatings of johnson's paste wax. We recently had a couple of weird days of weather, patio and most surfaces dripping wet. Friend asked me a few days later if I had any rust problems on my tools, his all looked like they had been left out in the rain, all he did was wax his equipment. I didn't get out to check mine for a day or two, but, almost all of mine were unscathed. One spot on my saw had a light patina of rust where the cover was tented on the fence and allowed air to get under the cover. Made me a believer! Bought 9' x 12' drop cloths at Big Lotts for $9.99 and cut to fit.

A plain cotton sheet, good cleaning and regular applications of Silverglide keep my TS top clear of rust - pretty good as I am within 1 Km of the ocean.