Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you lay out a shelf in an opening that is not square?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Ya, you got it.

The amount extra you leave is dictated by how out of square that the closet is, but that is something that you will pick up as you go. Usually they are not more than a 1/4" out, but hey, they don't call'em framers for nothing.

The first end cut just set the scribe at the size of the largest gap, on the other end go to the back corner measurement and set the scribe to that point. You don't want to get them too long as then the angle that they are at in the closet gets too sharp, but that too will come after a few tries. Set your scribe a little short on the second cut to compensate for the angled shelf, you can always cut it again.
    I was using the larger measurements for example only. I would never leave that much, the angle would be to steep and would not be a true measurement for where the shelf would set. Like you said 1/4 to 3/8 would probably be a good starting point. I'll give it a go and see what happens

Thanks
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    A simple solution to an everyday problem for sheetmetal workers and metal fabrication shops.
    It depends on how accurate you can measure.
    I usually use a large compass, but 2 shorter pieces of light metal or wood strips that are shorter than the whole distance needed to measure will work.
    Just put the ends of the pieces where you want them and clamp them together, they used to make sliding rulers that did this, then measure the length.

This even makes more sense if its fast, I'd still have to scribe the back. Nothing mathmatics can't figure out! I'll have to jot this down and put it in the notebook for later review!
    Thanks Harry
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-21-2009 at 1:02 PM. Reason: quote tags

Solid surface countertop installers make full-size templates from corrugated plasic posterboard material that's cut into strips about 4" wide. They hot-glue them together on site using some stiffeners where needed. The top is then fabricated to the shape and brought to the site where there can't really be much scribing or fine tuning. If you have re-entrant corners (or a situation where the shelf is wider at the back) you may need another approach, especially if it's something than just a flat piece of stock. But this may give you some new ideas.
    "You're never a complete failure - you can always be used as a bad example."

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Saunders View Post
    Solid surface countertop installers make full-size templates from corrugated plasic posterboard material that's cut into strips about 4" wide. They hot-glue them together on site using some stiffeners where needed. The top is then fabricated to the shape and brought to the site where there can't really be much scribing or fine tuning. If you have re-entrant corners (or a situation where the shelf is wider at the back) you may need another approach, especially if it's something than just a flat piece of stock. But this may give you some new ideas.
    I was thinking about using drywall shims, long cardboard pieces about 1-1/2" wide and a glue gun, but if I need it to fit tight I will still have to use a scribe because of drywall never being flat. I was looking to find the fastest most efficient way. One of those tips and tricks the pro's use, which I consider my self one. Oh and I hate calk!

Work from the center. Measure the back wall and find the center. Find the center of your shelve; make a mark front and back. Measure the back from the center and mark your shelve left and right. Measure out on the wall the size of your shelve. With the aid of a framing square, of the center mark on the back wall measure the front left and right. Mark your shelve and cut. To be sure your framing square is true flip it over and if you get the same measurement then you are good. If you have a problem measuring and holding the framing square lay it out on the floor making sure the walls are plumb.

Just my 2 cents
    Kelvin

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Method used on boats....

Generally, nothing is square on a boat.
    Whenever I have scraps of 1/8" luan, I cut them in long strips 1" wide.
    You can easily break them with your bare hands.
    Lay a piece in place along one side that is cut/broken to the correct length. Then break another piece to fit along the next side and continue until you have all 4 pieces overlapping eachother. Use an electric glue gun and glue the pieces together. Cut a few additional strips for diagonal strenghtening and glue them in place. Now remove this mock-up and trace it out on your good piece.
    The lengthiest part of this whole process is waiting the 3 minutes for the glue gun to heat up.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin Penner View Post
    Work from the center. Measure the back wall and find the center. Find the center of your shelve; make a mark front and back. Measure the back from the center and mark your shelve left and right. Measure out on the wall the size of your shelve. With the aid of a framing square, of the center mark on the back wall measure the front left and right. Mark your shelve and cut. To be sure your framing square is true flip it over and if you get the same measurement then you are good. If you have a problem measuring and holding the framing square lay it out on the floor making sure the walls are plumb.

Just my 2 cents
    Kelvin
    Another good solution! And it's fast. Think I'll try this using a measuring stick. Still see the need for a scribe if the walls (joint compound build up) are out of wack.

These bar Gauges do the trick and they are inexpensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43513,43553

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    Generally, nothing is square on a boat.
    Whenever I have scraps of 1/8" luan, I cut them in long strips 1" wide.
    You can easily break them with your bare hands.
    Lay a piece in place along one side that is cut/broken to the correct length. Then break another piece to fit along the next side and continue until you have all 4 pieces overlapping eachother. Use an electric glue gun and glue the pieces together. Cut a few additional strips for diagonal strenghtening and glue them in place. Now remove this mock-up and trace it out on your good piece.
    The lengthiest part of this whole process is waiting the 3 minutes for the glue gun to heat up.
    I use a method something like this for countertops. I take in a stack of tempered masonite 3" wide and build the countertop outline complete with scribing to whatever needs scribing and screw it together with lots of 7/16 screws and braces across the corners so it stays in it original shape. I then roll it all up so that it will fit out the door and take it back to the shop and build the tops. I have no scribing in the house that way, hence no dust, plus there is no wrestling heavy countertops in and out.

I worked on boats too, and it teaches you to fit odd peices better than any other work I can think of. Crawling around boats is a young mans job though, too hard on old bones.

Another method is to not bother to make the shelves square at all, and specify molding that can cover the gap. Personally I am much faster at fitting molding to a space than trying to cut a parallelogram perfectly. Quarter round is good for this kind of stuff, and it also makes it look like you were really doing a deluxe job instead of trying to save time.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    Another method is to not bother to make the shelves square at all, and specify molding that can cover the gap. Personally I am much faster at fitting molding to a space than trying to cut a parallelogram perfectly. Quarter round is good for this kind of stuff, and it also makes it look like you were really doing a deluxe job instead of trying to save time.
    I disagree. I always look at 1/4 round as a sign of someone that did not know how to make something fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I disagree. I always look at 1/4 round as a sign of someone that did not know how to make something fit.
    yeah and in California they like these heavy looking shelfs, meaning you have a top and bottom about 2" to 3" thick and a piece of trim or decorative chair rail over the front edges. 1/4 round would not look good on the bottom of this type of shelf. And I do agree 1/4 round is just a way to cover a screw up. Here's a pic of what I mean. Obtw I built this cabinet, lot of nice detail on the trim and moldings but you can't see it in the picture..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Venturelli View Post
    Wondering if anyone has a fast and effective way of measuring and laying out a shelf in an opening that is not square? I have been installing shelf's in niches which have become common in new homes and it seems no one can do square and plumb walls any longer. The only way I have found is to cut a template from cardboard. Wonder if there maybe a scribe way of doing this? But can't see how this could be done because it's all inside measurements between 2 walls. Looking for a faster tip on this problem...

Thanks,
    Rich
    I use 1 1/2 by about 3/16ths Poplar strips to make my template. I cut the strips to an approximate length (A bit shorter) then use a hot glue gun to make the exact same rectangle, which I transfer to the wood I am going to use. This works very effectively and the glue joints can be broken easily to reuse the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Venturelli View Post
    yeah and in California they like these heavy looking shelfs, meaning you have a top and bottom about 2" to 3" thick and a piece of trim or decorative chair rail over the front edges. 1/4 round would not look good on the bottom of this type of shelf. And I do agree 1/4 round is just a way to cover a screw up. Here's a pic of what I mean. Obtw I built this cabinet, lot of nice detail on the trim and moldings but you can't see it in the picture..

Very nice! Too bad TV's are so damn ugly eh?

Try this Richard.

http://www.garymkatz.com/TrimTechniq..._shelving.html

If I understood your original question, this is a very good method, but only one of several offered up by many posters.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.