Thread: sink base width

sink base width

How much room do you cabinet guys usually leave on either side of an undermount SS sink. Looking to build a sink base for a 30" SS undermount kitchen sink. Was gonna go 33" wide but thinking that maybe I should go wider than that. ???

30" is a good sized sink

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Nelson View Post
    How much room do you cabinet guys usually leave on either side of an undermount SS sink. Looking to build a sink base for a 30" SS undermount kitchen sink. Was gonna go 33" wide but thinking that maybe I should go wider than that. ???
    Thirty inches is a good sized sink, I would make it 36"
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

36" would work if you measure from the outside edge of the stiles, (mid or not, doesn't matter). I usually use a 32" opening, and put the partions as far out as possible or prudent regardless of the stile width.

I'd probably go 36" base - done a few dozen kitchens and the space fills up fast if you have water filters and/or insta-hot heaters, big disposer, etc. Then, again, I don't fit under sinks as well as I used to. If you can, avoid a center stile between the doors.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I have a different approach from some of the other posters. I figure that space under the sink is under-utilized. If I can convert some of that under-utilized air space into drawer space, I get a lot more use of it. So I make the sink base as narrow as I can get away with. I've even made sink bases so narrow that I had to cut away some of the side walls to clear the sink itself.

If you want some usable space in the sink base you can always go with a drawer on the bottom and shorter doors.

Personally I just make them 36" wide unless there is some reason not to. The extra space is always welcome around sink during the install.

Ultimately you need just enough for the sink and fasteners to clear and that would likely depend on the sink chosen. Since I usually don't know what sink is going to go in ahead of time I leave extra room.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

36 standard for a wall run cabinet.

I use a 30 for a corner sink, and notch the sides down 6-8" so a 33" sink base will fit in there.