Thread: Jet 1220 VS Lathe

Jet 1220 VS Lathe

I have been looking at one of these VS lathes. This is the size lathe that I want and is all that I need. I recently sold my large lathe. They are pretty new and hard to get as they are about sold out and seem to be on back order everywhere. Does anyone have one of these or used one; and what is the verdict? Any and all comments would be appreciated.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Dino, I don't have the 1220 but you might want to post this in the turning forum, I know some other turners on SMC have the 1220 but might not find your post in the General forum.

Nope, don't have one.
    I have a Nova DVR, and a converted Delta Midi I put a DC motor on.
    IMO, you need as slow a start as possible, then round up from there.
    My DVR starts at 100 RPM. The modified Midi starts at a crawl.

The 1220vs is probably one of the best midi lathes available today. 3/4 hp, slow speed capability (Note the VS is the one you want). They aren't cheap though and recently jet raised their prices AGAIN... something like $600 street now.

It is a well loved lathe and has many, many admirers. I've not see any used yet, as those that own them love them.

g'luck

mike

This should be in the turning forum but the 1220vs for the money is the one to get. Of course the best bang for buck is the powermatic 3520b but that is twice the price.
    -=Jason=-

Twice the price?? More like 5 times!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I bought the original 1220 when it first came on the market, before the VS option was available, and I've been thrilled with it. I'm not sure how different the minimum speeds are between the two versions, though from a convenience factor I haven't found the belt changes to be that bad. If I were purchasing again, I would probably skip the variable speed and save the money (or rather, I'd take the money and send it on over to fellow-Creeker Doug Thompson -- if you haven't used his tools yet, you're in for a treat).

In any case, you can't go wrong.

d

Well I just bought one.....not much experience with it yet, but I spent quite a bit of time researching various lathes and I do think I picked the right one for me.

Almost everyone here in the Turner's Forum recommended VS to me, so I went with their advice. I got it for $545 with a $75 rebate coming (soon I hope). But the price went up at the first of the year.

I got mine from Woodcraft in December. The only problem I had was user related. I initially failed to level the lathe properly. This resulted in the headstock and tailstock being slightly out of alignment. Once the lathe was leveled the problem was gone.

I have turned pens, bottle stoppers, and several bowls (8-10"). It is powerful and quiet. I have the VS model and I love it.

Doug

I got the Jet Mini VS lathe from Amazon last fall and love it.
    I find I can leave the pulleys in medium or fast and use the VS for any adjustments I need in speed.

When I purchased it I signed up for a trial of Amazon Prime and the lathe was on my doorstep in two days, free shipping. I canceled Prime the following month.

Lots of folks offer this lathe, look around.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

I just got one in December as well. I don't know how I'd manage to live without the variable speed feature either! I definately recommend spending a little extra and getting that.

My lathe worked flawlessly right out of the box.

Great small machine. Our club has them for member use, and they are very well regarded. There has been a minor problem with failures on the power ON/Off toggle switch - it fails in the ON position. Jet has been providing replacement switches (they may have fixed this by now), and you can use a switched power strip to get you by if it happens. Get a Oneway Talon or small Vicmarc chuck - don't waste your money on others - and you will be very happy with your lathe.

Great lathe!

It is a realy smooth powerful machine. Glad I got my VS last Oct.
    Bob

Ordered mine (1220 VS) from Packard Woodworks Monday and expecting it here tomorrow

Can't wait to get it set up. Now I need to find a new home for my 1014 VS.

I have the Jet 1220 VS. It is well worth the money. I love mine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.