Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Best Screw Drill Driver Ever!

Absolute Best Screw Drill Driver Ever!

Just to let anyhone know who is in the market for a new cordless drill-driver, my wife bought me the best I have ever seen for my birthday last year. It was a Panasoic 14.4 impact, drill driver and flashlight combo. I have been an union electrician and have been using corless drivers since they came out, but no other brands including Milluwake, Makita, Dewalt, etc can even come close. When I went to the tool shop I thought I wanted a Hitachi, my brother has one and I liked the feel and balance and he was well pleased with it. The tool store was out of it and the owner aqsked me if I had tried the Panasonic. I laughed in his face and said I didn't want a TV. But the laugh was on me. He took a three inch screw, held the Panasonic driver horizontial, and drove the screw all the way through a 2X4 on edge with no strain at all. I was convinced! I told my wife about it, she went to the store and tried it and I had a great birthday present. To make a long story short the impact driver gets used more than anything in my shop, I will never be without it, the lithium ion battery last for an extremely long time and recharges very fast. If you want a tool that you will absolutely love I highly recommend it..

Dale Morris

Congratulations. You have discovered the "secret" of the impact driver and the "secret" of the Panasonic in one hit !!
    Just remember that the impact driver takes no prisoners and it is easy to over drive screws. It is also not the greatest for removing screws, since that is contrary to its function.
    I have 2 Panasonic 15.6 drivers which I love, but I have the Milwaukee 14.4 impact driver too and that is hard to beat.

I learned of Panasonic drivers from an electrician.

So the circle is complete.

FWIW I also learned about the Bosch mini-driver from an electrician and it is my favorite driver now. But I do still love the Panasonic, has a great balance.

That Panasonic is a solid little unit, and heavy for it's size isn't it? When the batteries on my ancient, 12v, Dewalt's finally give up the ghost, that's the drill that will replace them.

It is a nice drill, congrats.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

back in 05 wood magazine did a comparison test and the panasonic ranked in the top 3 with festool and dewalt. it also had the longest lasting battery of all tested drivers

Panasonic Drill Driver

I learned about the Pansonic D/D when the electrician who roughed in our house left it behind by accident.

I used it until the battery went dead.

When he showed up to do the finish work, I asked him if it was his and he said yes he had been looking all over for it.

I mentioned that I sure would like to get one, and guess what showed up the next week.

It is one of my most used tools. I even used it to put a 12x22 deck down.

My is a 12v, but I sure like it.

Pat

I googled these - $400 !?! Am I missing something?

I also like that little bosh 12V that is nice that is what I carry. The panasonic is great all around, and smooth. The festool is the best for accuarcy, smoothness and run out and it has a bunch of cool chucks you can turn it into a 90 deg drill or up agenst a wall etc. I have so many drills just depends on the job which one I grab.
    -=Jason=-

FWW Top Pick

That driver was the Editor's Choice and Readers top pick in the FWW 2009 tool guide. So it sounds like you're not alone.

The price was a little steep for me so I went with the Makita BTD142 at a little more than 1/2 the price. I'm really happy with the Makita, but admittedly I haven't tried the Panasonic. Which was intentional... I didn't want to suffer from got-to-have-it syndrome.

I am a retired sheetmetal worker and we used impact drivers all day long every day! We used Makita 9.4 volt ones and I still use them in my shop. These impact drivers will break off a 3/8" bolt! I understand the sheetmetal workers still use them but 18 volt ones now I guess.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Ken, My wife gave $360 for mine, but it had both the impact and the drill plus really good light and two lithium ion batteries that last forever and a charger. Knowing what I know now if it was $500 It would still be worth it. It is really teh best drill I haver ever used in 40 years of construction. You can drive a #6 X 1/2" woodscrew or twist into a 3/8 bolt with the same tool.

Dale

Im particial to my Porter Cable 14.4 with the hammer drill options that I've had for 7 years and its still running strong. I have replace some batteries but I use this drill everyday!!! I have a dewalt 12 volt for small jobs or when I need two drills and the dewalt does not even come close to the PC.. I have heard good things about the Pan.
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

.....here is a hyperlink to a 2008 review that ToolsoftheTrade website did on cordless impact drivers, which very likely includes the Panasonic (rated a close second in this review to a Makita) impact driver you bought

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=705143

.... I am fairly certain that the same website has reviews of 14.4 and 18 volt drill/drivers

.... the 1.5ah lithium battery drill driver and impact driver combos are pretty amazing in terms of light weight and compactness; the 1.5ah smaller capacity batteries are probably just fine for use in or close to the home workshop while a professional on a remote worksite might opt for 3ah batteries......

good luck

michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Morris View Post
    Ken, My wife gave $360 for mine, but it had both the impact and the drill plus really good light and two lithium ion batteries that last forever and a charger. Knowing what I know now if it was $500 It would still be worth it. It is really teh best drill I haver ever used in 40 years of construction. You can drive a #6 X 1/2" woodscrew or twist into a 3/8 bolt with the same tool.

Dale
    If I ever get the chance I'll have to take one for a test drive.

15. I Agree

I purchased that set last fall when Microsoft was doing 30% cash back so I got it out the door for about $260. There was also a rebate for a free 3rd battery so I got that too

I've been redoing my basement and I've been using the drill and driver just about every day and have only had to recharge the batteries 2-3 times. I can't imagine going back to life BPD (before Panasonic Driver).

Scott