Thread: General International 125 MAXI-LATHE VS ??

General International 125 MAXI-LATHE VS ??

Kindly note error in Title. It should read GI 25 MAXI-LATHE VS.

Hello all; I am presently turning pens on a Delta/Rockwell lathe Model 46-305. It has a slight more shavings than this picture shows at the present time.

I purchased it used in Dec. of '07 and reconditioned it in it's entirety. I also have a Delta Midi out in the garage which I was going to install a Beall system or the like on, but have never gotten around to it.

I was thinking of getting rid (read, sell) both of the above lathes and purchase a GI 25 VS Maxi Lathe.

Do any of you turn on the Maxi Lathe, and if so would you mind commenting with respect to your likes and/or dislikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mack Cameron; 01-21-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Yeah I turned on it for about a year. I started with a 2006 model which sucked. The VS stopped working after like 10 hours. This happened on most of the 2006 motors. I told general and they replaced it with a newer motor within a few weeks. I'm in California so it took a little longer.

After that happened it was smooth sailing. Never had another problem. I would definitely recommend it again. The outboard it great, it's got 3/4 hp compared to most lathes with are 1/2 hp. Pretty smooth motor, belt change takes 15 seconds.

The only downside I have with it is that the banjo does extend enough in my opinion. It'd be nice if they would make it go like an inch further than the diameter of the swing. Not a big deal, just would make moving it while roughing big pieces easier.

Any questions just ask.

Alex

My main question is, why do you want to upgrade your lathe(s)? If you are pen turning, I don't think there's much that the General Maxi Lathe will get you that your old Delta/Rockwell won't do for you.

Mack,

There is no way I would let go of the 46-305. You did a fantastic job of reconditioning it a and what a beauty it turned out to be. I sure wish I lived closer and had the space, I would relieve you of that lathe in a heartbeat. The VS is a temptation on today's lathes, but to have an old machine like yours just means so much more than a little convenience.

Why do you want the general over the Delta? If it's only for the VS, I'd consider just adding a VS motor to your delta instead, as they are very similar in most ways.

I am a big fan of VS.
    Trading the Midi for the Maxi is yes; but not the Delta/Rockwell. You will be trading down. If you are mostly turning pens, you will be using the high speed anyway; you don't need any speed change in the middle of turning.

VS is useful when you are turning larger off balance blanks. I like Scott's idea.
    Gordon

I turned on a delta EXACTLY the same in my high school. Personally I hated it compared to the new 16" Delta VS they bought while I was there. The difference was huge. I think if you are only doing pens then you don't need to change lathes but if you plan on doing anything else upgrading would be a good idea.

Alex

Even though I am an advocate of General lathes (I own one and a friend also owns one) I could not in good faith advise you to trade. You have one fine piece of machinery there and would not be giong up or down with the General, just sideways. Yes the evs is great, and General in my opinion makes a grea lathe. The Delta is a superior achine especially sine you have refurbished it. The only plus to the General is it's new and evs. You can put evs on that lathe for cheaper than buying the eneral I beleive. JMHO, but it's not worth it for the new lathe vs the old lathe.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Well you Gents have been voices of reason in my wilderness!

As much as I would love to put a VS on this lathe, I have no idea where to start. Electronics has never been my thing!

My wife would like to thank you all for putting me back on the straight and narrow path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I have a very similar lathe,
    When I bought it the previous owner had installed a VS AC Craftsman motor.

I rebuilt and cleaned the whole thing and I love it. Added about 300lbs so it don't walk across the floor and I am good to go. Sometimes wish it was a bit bigger, but for now it's great.

A simple solution is to find a VS AC motor,
    A little more complicated is a 3ph motor with a VFD Drive. Drive will cost you $125-??? and the motor will cost from $0.00 to a few hundred. I have seen many 3ph motors given away just because people don't have 3ph.

Do a search on VFD and you will be reading for awhile, it's pretty straight forward.

Another option is a DC motor, they have a almost full power at even the lowest speeds. I have several motors from old treadmills, again free or low cost. The expensive part is the motor controller. could be anywhere from free with the treadmill to $200.00

Many options, that is a great looking and performing lathe, don' give up on it.
    Don't see them everyday and yours looks to be in great condition.

couple pics of mine

Last edited by John Cooper2; 01-30-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: pic not working
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

Hey Mack, if you need a hand with variable speed let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images