Thread: Benchtop tool storage cabinet ideas needed

Benchtop tool storage cabinet ideas needed

Hi all -

I've spent FAR too many hours searching the forum and reading your VERY informative posts and learning all I can about lathes, turning, DC, and various ideas for storage cabinets!!

Before I clutter our garage with MORE tools and wood I figure I need a plan to efficiently store this stuff - or my husband may decide to kick MY car out into the snow .

I was looking at the storage cabinet plans on the woodstore.net site and wondered if anyone had experience with their plans, or if they'd even be of use for our equipment. The plans I'm considering are their "Bench-tool system - Storing your benchtop tools vertically on trays in a roll-around cabinet. The matching tool base makes a perfect mobile workstation"; and their "Mobile tool cabinet" - looks like it would make great roll-away storage for lots of tools and supplies.

I also like the flip-top cabinets that many Sawmillers have constructed, but didn't know if they'd be of use for the Jet mini-lathe and scroll saw that I hope to soon purchase. (We have the Dewalt 734 planer but took the easy route and bought their stand - it, and the table saw, have so far been housed in our barn - too much dust for the garage - we even use these outside if making lots of chips!)

Since I've never done any turning or used a scroll saw it seemed that the flip-top cabinets and the Woodstore mobile tool base might not give you the best access to the equipment, might need to be more adjustable than a fixed cabinet, or might have too much vibration when using the mini-lathe. Not that I'd be doing 24/7 scrolling or anything, this is just a hobby (or as I'm quickly learning, THE VORTEX ).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Barb

Barb:

I can't believe it's been over a week and no one has responded to your inquiry.

I have not, as yet, used Wood plans. I'm in the process of laying out and setting up my (basement) shop and doing so on a very limited budget. I need to come up with some sort of "modular" system for bench tools as well however I'm not enthused with the "flip" designs. Pinch-points and clearance issues abound. The design you indicate you're looking at (featured in their 2009 Best-Ever Home Shop Ideas publication) seems more in my way of thinking, though I'd have to play with the height of the storage unit for it to be usable in my shop.

You may want to look at other systems to see which is more suited to your needs. I find a lot of food for thought over at woodworkersworkshop.com and you may too.

Good Luck!

Dave Potter
    In my shop, there's a place for every tool. ...Now, if only I could just find those places.

Barb,

I picked up a copy of "Practical Shop Cabinets" from tomclarkbooks.com. At about $13, it has construction details on building inexpensive cabinets that feature drawers. Or, just look at his site for some interesting ideas.

-chrud

Barb,
    Virtually everyone who buys a mini lathe ends up with a larger lathe, usually, sooner then later. Keep this in mind when you build your cabinet/stand. I've found the best thing to do is build simple cabinets based on the needs of the tool. My lathe needs to store turning tools I don't use much, drill rods for hollowing tools, chucks, jaws, strap clamps, finishing supplies, etc.

My grinder needs a place to hold the jigs, wheels, dresser but no much more. My planer only needs to hold replacement blades so I can store them elsewhere. Drill press needs a lot of storage for the hundreds of bits, Baltimore vise, clamps, braces, forstners, etc.

You get the idea. I think the best plans would come from basic cabinetry books. I have "Making Cabinets & Built-ins" by Sam Allen and "Building Doors & Drawers" by Andy Rae. Both are good books but I believe there are some better cabinet books out there. If you're near a Woodcraft, browse thru their book sections and select something that makes sense to you.

Burt

Many thanks for the suggestions -will checkout the reading materials and I may also need to schedule a day trip to the Woodcraft store

Barb