Thread: How to separate lid from box?

How to separate lid from box?

I was given a glued-up, fully enclosed box 10"L X 5"W X 6"H made of MDF covered with walnut burl veneer and asked to cut it in two about 1" from the top. I'm told the MDF is 7/16" thick. Any ideas as to the best method to do this?

I was planning on running it over my tablesaw with the blade raised just shy of 7/16" and then separating it with a handsaw.

Is MDF tough on saw blades? I hesitate to use my LN dovetail saw or my Japanese saws but I do have an old dovetail saw I could use.

Can I through-cut one or two of the sides on the tablesaw or would that weaken it too much to handle the remaining near-through tablesaw cuts?

Thanks,
    Dave

What I do is make a cut, check that the blade has just cut thru, tape a spline in the kerf, repeat.

Do you have a bandsaw.... if so use it with a resaw blade
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Pretty much the same. I cut the narrow ends first, full thickness. tape in kerf splines to stop pinching. Then cut sides. Al

Blog Entries
    Pick one side and cut to 90% of the thickness of the wood. Then cut the two adjoining sides to full depth (all the way through). Rotate the box to the uncut side and cut it full depth as well. Finish cutting the first side with a knife or flush cutting hand saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Probably doesn't need saying but I recommend putting the bottom of the box against the table saw fence. It is easier to avoid pinching that way.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll go with the spline ideas thus eliminating handsawing and truing MDF.

MDF is a little hard on steel cutters, but carbide does a good job. I'd guess any table saw you're using already has a carbide tipped blade. And be sure to wear a mask, that "flour" from cutting MDF is a real mess, You sure don't want to inhale any more of it than necessary.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 01-22-2009 at 1:28 PM. Reason: additional info

My preference would be for a bandsaw or even a japanese type pull saw (not your real good one, something like a Sharksaw). I dont like the skip in grain figure that a 1/8" or even 3/32" TS blade leaves, plus whichever method you use usually entails a bit of planing or sanding afterward, making for a bigger skip.
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 01-22-2009 at 9:15 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    My preference would be for a bandsaw or even a japanese type pull saw (not your real good one, something like a Sharksaw). I dont like the skip in grain figure that a 1/8" or even 3/32" TS blade leaves, plus whivever method you use usually entails a bit of planing or sanding afterward, making for a bigger skip.
    Like Doug, I don't like the skip in the veneer caused by the 1/8" table saw blade. But no matter how you cut it, you'll get some skip.

What you can do is lay a thin piece of wood (or built up veneer) on the two sides of the box, where you cut it. This will cover the MDF and can be a contrast element against the burl. If you make it the proper thickness, the two pieces will be about the same thickness as your saw blade so the burl will appear to be "continuous", even though it isn't.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One other thing I've wondered about but never tried is one of the special ground blades like StewMac sells
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...Saw_Blade.html
    You could get the TS accuracy with an extremely small kerf but only to 1/4" deep, then use the kerf to guide and finish the cut with a fine hand saw.
    Use the fence Luke

I still think a bandsaw is the best bet... no turning over and over no spline just once through the blade...... zip youre done
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I used the spline method and it worked great. I cut the two short sides first, inserted the splines, wrapped a web clamp around the box, cut the remaining sides. The cuts were very clean (Forrest blade) no sanding or truing were necessary even though there was a small piece of mystery metal embedded in the MDF. I'm used to finding surprises in fence-line lumber (horse shoes, barbed wire, bullets, etc) but not in MDF.

Also, I was lucky with the skip, it's barely noticeable. I have 10 more of them to do so I doubt I'll always be this lucky. The burl figure is so heavy I'm hoping it's enough of a distraction as to not draw attention to the cut-line.

Thanks everybody,
    Dave

check for metal

Just a thought: if you don't know how that MDF was fastened together, you might want to check it with a metal detector before running any of your saws through it. There could be danger hiding beneath that veneer.

I have Doug Stowe's box video, and he cuts through each side, leaving maybe a millimeter of material in the kerf to prevent the lid from collapsing against the box body and messing up the other cuts. Then he opens the box with a knife.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.