Thread: Craftsman 113298762 table saw purchase

Craftsman 113298762 table saw purchase

I have a Ryobi BTS21 table saw I purchased a few months ago. My first table saw. It works well, but being new to woodworking, I did not know what to look for in a table saw. One item I realized that is important is a miter slot - the Ryobi does not have one.

A Craftsman 10" Contractors table saw with Exact-I-Rip fence. 3HP.54'X28" Table. is for sale locally for 300.00, which I think is too much. The seller wants a smaller, more compact saw. My offer to him would be an even trade for my Ryobi.

Is this Craftsman saw a good saw? Better than the Ryobi. etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Personally I think hes got you in quality power and functionality. His price may be a little high but I think it would be a reach to do an even trade, at least for me it would be. My advice would be to shop around a little and try to score a deal on a used Unisaw. They can be had in this price range sometimes and it would be miles ahead of both saws were talking about here. Not trying to be offensive just honest.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Go look at the saw. if it is in fairly new condition it will be worth the money.. a friend has had that same saw for over 6 years and it performs really well... if it was my saw I would not trade you even
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

The bigger saw has more mass (stability), a larger surface, and should have a quieter more reliable induction motor (check for an outboard belt driven motor...if it's a direct drive, I'd pass). It should in general be a nicer to saw to use, and is more updateable. It's not really 3hp...that's a "max developed hp" rating just before it goes up in smoke....it's more realistically a 1-1/2hp motor...check the motor plate.

The Cman does have an updated fence, but IMO $300 is too much for that saw....depending on the condition and any extras included, I'd think $150-$250 is more realistic range. I also think you're offer of an even swap is too low. He may go for it, but it's more likely that your saw and $50-$100 cash is fair. See how he feels about it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=craftsman
    I just sold an almost identical Cman, my fence was not as nice, but it had the solid table extensions. I sold it for $175 and I think that was a pretty fair price, $300 is too much. The saw was really nice I liked it, but I upgraded to a unisaw. My unisaw was $450 but then I had to run 3 phase 220, materials for that cost me another $100, and running the wires was tricky. I would recommend shopping around further for a Cman at a better price or spending a little more for a Uni.

Blog Entries
    Put the $300 towards a new saw with a belt drive motor. His price is too high. I picked up a 1HP C-man contractor (the 3HP stated for the saw you're looking at is an induction motor rating; kinda like a 6HP shop-vac) from the original owner for $100. I tricked it out and sold it for about $200 with a new fence, link belt, PALs, machined pulleys, etc.

As I said, $300 is too high. My advice is to keep looking. Your profile doesn't say where you are. Give us your general location and maybe we can help you locate something ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here is another saw for sale locally. Wants $850.00 Seems like too much money.

From the ad: "Delta 10" Tilting Arbor Saw, Model 36-755, 52" Unifence, Right Tilt Blade, Outfeed table. Great Saw, ready to cut. "
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd go look at both of those saws and carry cash with you. Unless they have other buyers on the hook it's hard to pass up those $100 bills.

I've got the Emerson (Ridgid) manufactured Craftsman. I paid a little more for it, but it has a solid cast iron router extension table and belt drive.

Given the choice now, I'd have jumped on that Unisaw you posted (assuming it's in good shape...)

Is the 36-755 a Unisaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Miller View Post

From the ad: "Delta 10" Tilting Arbor Saw, Model 36-755, 52" Unifence, Right Tilt Blade, Outfeed table. Great Saw, ready to cut. "
    Avoid that Delta, not a Unisaw, its an older version of a hybrid. Only advantages over the Sears is smaller footprint and the Unifence.

If you are OK with spending more then a used Unisaw or any true cabinet saw will be as much tool as most home woodworkers will ever need. Keep in mind the electrical requirements and it is more difficult to make a Unisaw mobile.

Another option is the upcoming hybrid from Ridgid. $600 and it removes a lot of the shortcomings of saws in that price point. T-square fence, mobile, riving knife, heavy and should be easier to source depending on your nearest Home Depot. However it isn't widely available yet.

If you can get the guy to trade or even with a little $ thrown in the Craftsman is a decent saw. Put a link belt on it, tune it up and it will hold you over.

Blog Entries
    I'm at work so I can't check the model numbers, but that looks like my saw. I think I paid $350-375 for it new. The blade guard is a pain to use and the fence shown in the illustration will not lock down square every time. The miter guage fixed stops are not terribly accurate. The cast iron top on mine is very flat. I upgraded my fence to a Biesmeyer and changed to a Kreg crosscut guide. I get saw tooth mark free cuts in rip and crosscut modes after aligning the saw.

Most people selling used items expect a little haggling on the price so I would offer him less, say $150 to start and go no higher than say $200 for the saw, knowing I will probably need to upgrade the fence and miter gauge. Your saw plus $50-75 would be a pretty even trade in my book.

What else is he selling as part of the saw like blades and such.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Miller View Post

$850 is too high for that saw IMHO.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I would certainly avoid the Craftsman. It is similar to my "first tablesaw." I sold it and never looked back. Quality was very poor. The motor is a 3hp universal which is very weak for a tablesaw IMO.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck with some of the newer hybrid tablesaws as mentioned above.

Good luck!