Thread: a combination post (pens and scrap wood)

a combination post (pens and scrap wood)

Got to clear a "space" this weekend in the garage where I can actually operate my lathe. I only have one power point where I am situated but that helps me get my fix :-)

I got the bandsaw,lathe,fan,vacuum,drill press and hand drill all plugged into one outlet. OBVIOUSLY I only use one tool at a time else KAPPUT!!!!!

Anyways, a couple of pens I turned today. The patriot pen is from Antler and the other pen is from a piece of wood that had P.W written on it. This is the kind of wood it is coz I wrote the letters on it BUT I forget what that stood for.

Also, there is a truck picture and a bear picture attached.

The truck door and the bear are made of the same type of wood. It is pallet wood that was used to ship marble into the US from India. I have NO idea what kind of wood it is but hard and pretty.

Thanks for looking and if you can fill in the blanks, I'd appreciate it.

regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look nice, Rob...glad to see back on the wagon again...you were getting downright un-bear-able! hahahahahaha.....

Turn a pen from that Macassar Ebony I gave you...should turn out real purty.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

i aint done the wood you gave me yet but it is in line.

By the way, that wood was marked P.B not P.W as stated before....

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Look nice, Rob...glad to see back on the wagon again...you were getting downright un-bear-able! hahahahahaha.....

Turn a pen from that Macassar Ebony I gave you...should turn out real purty.
    The pieces are alot better than the puns flying around here.

Great job, Rob. I'm glad you have at least a temporary shop up and running...but you can do a lot with one plug and a little time to enjoy the electron flow!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great looking projects Rob

I don't know what wood the pen is - but it looks great -so do the bear & truck - very cool! I'm in the same boat as you are. I took one of my 2 garages & put a new roof on & ran a new electric service to it -for my shop. It's a 2 car garage but less than half of it is dedicated to my WW'ing. I only have the one GFI duplex outlet that is required by code so far. I run an extension chord to my lathe & everything else is used close to the outlet. It works fine till I get the $$ to wire the whole shop. As long as you have enough space & electrons to get your WW'ing fix it's good enough.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Thanks Tom

the wooden pen is osage orange.........

Nice looking stuff you have there .... Ya know that Phil Brennion lives in the Prescott area in Chino Valley I believe.. You know the spinny thing expert from Wood magazine. He did the Lathe reviews for them.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

more

More pens ,love the look. I only have one plug also. I have tried to hire two different people to put more plugs in the shop. Both fell through. So here I am again with just one out let.
    So all us one plug workers should form a club.

Very nice job on the pens, Rob! Is the antler hard to make pens with?

Well I only have a small 1 car garage also that I took over for my shop but I do have dedicated outlers for all the big stuff and quite a few extras for smaller tools!

I seem to have run out of space though and have a problem leaving things plugged in but I'll set it on the wrrong table then the next time I wiggle through that way I get to jump over the cord, seem to always pick a time to go that way when my hands are loaded.

John