Thread: I need help from a Jet 1220 VS owner

I need help from a Jet 1220 VS owner

My lathe has not arrived yet and I am hoping to see it tomorrow afternoon or it will be a long weekend for sure. In the mean time, I am laying out my new bench and need a critical measurement from someone who has this model. I need to know the distance from the bottom of the feet to the drive center so I can get my bench height exact in my plans. If you have included the rubber feet bumpers, I need to know this as well.

I would be ever so greatful to anyone who could run out to the shop and measure it for me.

Many thanks in advance.

It is 13-1/4" with rubber feet.
    Gordon

Thank you so much Gordon, you are a saint.

I will be very curious to see how your bench turns out. I picked up my materials for my 1220 stand last weekend but have not started work on it.

Hi Randy,

Mine is going to be very simple in nature this time. Pretty much 2X frame construction with ply top and shelves all on casters and leg levelers.

That sounds good. I may have picked a design that is a bit more complex than my bench making skills allow. I am doing an A-frame stand from a design I saw in one of Raffan's books. I am doing heavy glide feet that can be leveled (I hope)

Randy,

Sounds like my first one that I evolved out of and now wish I had back.

Here is my thread from years ago showing it off. Maybe the pictures can offer help with yours.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28217

Oh my Bob, that is very nice. I appreciate the link to those pictures. I am not going to have anything quite so nice. Actually mine will be sort of embarrassing in comparison

I am doing an open A-frame out of 4x4's.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Schaffer View Post
    I will be very curious to see how your bench turns out. I picked up my materials for my 1220 stand last weekend but have not started work on it.
    Me too. I picked up the MDF, Hardboard, Poplar, and hardware to build one from Shopnotes #67. Hope to start on it this weekend, but I'd love to see other folks solutions.

Bob you're stand is very nice. much better than mine. When I first got my Little General I used a portable saw horse. In order to get it high enough to turn on I had to take some ready bolt and raise it up a couple more inches than the feet would allow. What I discovered was that is was a lot easier to clean under it. When I made my stand I made it a couple inches lower than normal and used the same ready bolts to bring it up to what I wanted. It sure is a lot better as far as cleaning. Just a quick shot with the air hose and good as new.
    Just something else to think about.

Steve

Bob!

My 1220 had plastic not rubber feet. I removed them and bolted the lathe to the top of one of my old benches that I had previously used for my old Sears lathe. So far no walking. The hole through the feet was appx 3/16". Without it I could use 5/16" bolts. Just my way of dealing with the problem. Good luck.
    Bob

Thanks for the comments on my old long gone lathe stand. It was a challange to build and a beast for the shop. I have been working on my 1220 bench all day and hope to have it finished before the weekend is out. I will post some pictures when I finish.

Randy, you are in for a treat building that "A" frame

Jerome, the Shopnotes model is a nice stand, but complex to build.

Robert, I have every intention of bolting my 1220 VS to the bench

Bob,

I picked up Rowley's book this weekend and see his plan for what I believe was your old bench. This one is too complex for me with the top planed to that angle.

I am doing a bit simpler version where the top is of 2 five foot 4x4's with 3 4x4 spacers, then an A-frame leg set. I almost think I can pull that one off. I know I could never have done the one you had.....at least with a top that was not completly crooked at least.

This link a couple of pages down shows the Raffan design I am attempting.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TnW...esult#PPA43,M1