Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Bowl W/Pics

Cherry Bowl W/Pics

I've never turned a bowl before and have always wanted to give it a shot. I had a scrap of 8/4 cherry ready for the bin so I thought I'd try making a bowl with it. So after dinner my 10 year old son and I threw it on the lathe and gave it a shot. I'm not set up to turn bowls, but after we figured out how we could do it, here's what we came up with. I'm sure it violates every rule for turning a bowl and there's some sanding marks that didn't totally make it out, but it was signed "To Mom. Love Nathanael" so how can you go wrong? Mom's already made an order for more! Anyway, we had fun. If you've never tried turning a bowl, give it a shot! I'm used to having sawdust in the shop. I'm not used to wearing 90% it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason,
    You may be aware that I am about to start turning maybe this weekend. I sure hope my first bowl turns out half as good!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Very nice.... I'm sure it matches beautifully with your "cabinet table"...

Jason, you continue to amaze me! I've done quite a bit of turning, but never tried a bowel. You go out and and turn a beautiful one on your first try. Wow, what talent! Again you've inspired me to try something new. As soon as I can afford a lathe again I'll see if I can come close to your first try.

BTW -- As someone who just retired from 37 years in elementary school classrooms teaching students about your son's age, I thank you. Spending quality time like that and teaching him some skills and the love of art is one of the best things you can do as a parent. Unfortunately in today's society it's rare to find a father who will spend such "high quality" time with his children.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Perfect proportions! That piece just looks naturally comfortable.

Jason, that really takes more than just woodworking ability, it takes an inherent artistic talent. There is a real difference. I see people that can execute fine joinery, and finish a piece beautifully, but when one looks at it - something just isnt' right.

You are gifted with both woodworking ability and artistic talent. I am also sure that you are overwhelmingly thankful for those gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    I'm used to having sawdust in the shop. I'm not used to wearing 90% it
    Hehehe, turning will do that to you. I think the vortex has claimed some more victims

That is a beautifully elegant bowl, John & Nathanael. I don't think you violated any rules. What is the diameter of the bowl and what finish did you use? The cherry has some great color.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Jason, excellent work as usual. I don't know if it violates and bowl-making rules (are there any) but it meets my criteria for being a success which is that it turned out as a wonderful piece.

I know your ministry work and family keep you busy, but have you ever thought about teaching this stuff? You definitely have a gift.

Dewey

Dewey--Quiet the Vortex is claming a nother victum

Jason,

Very nicely done Sir! Tell your son he obviously inherited some of his Dad's talents! Very nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

nice job. I'm afraid to try anything on a lathe! it is ADDICTIVE !!!!
    MARK

Hi Jason,
    Nice work for a quick last minute project. The bowl is very elegant in form and your cabinet in the other post is just a pleasing to the eye. I also check out your web site, which has the same simplistic cham that shows in your work. You have a true gifting. Keep letting it shine.
    I take big parts, cut them into little parts, and glue back into big parts.

The circle of life.

That bowl is geat, Jason. I turned a couple of Cedar bowls a while back that had nearly that exact shape with the foot being almost a pedestal. Very appealing look.

You better be careful, though. You are so good at flat work that it would almost be a shame if the vortex claimed you and your tablesaw became just a place to store turning blanks!
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Excellent results....

Sarge..

Jason,
    Great first bowl, and even better story of working with your 10 year old and giving mother a bowl that is perfect!!
    Doesn't get any better than this!!
    Roger

Hey, thanks everyone! Yea, the vortex might have struck! Guess what I get to do after dinner again tonight? The other kids have seen the results and are jealous to get in on the act. Looks like the shop stays a disaster for a bit longer. Did I mention how much sawdust you produce doing this work? Can't the vortex suck in just the sawdust and leave me alone