Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Blog Entries
    I'm building some storage bins out of some scrap but squeezed in a candle holder for mom's table (her idea). It is also made out of scraps but I won't tell her that ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Working on two projects. Messed up the legs for the high chair on Saturday, and today just REALLY messed up the legs for a repair for a coffee table I already broke. Stupid biscuit joiner -- I think it slips.

Now I am forced to mortise & tenon or give up.

Trying to stay warm! Way too cold in the unheated garage/workshop. I've got some water in a pail and there is a thin ice crust on the water.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Got the wood stove hooked up and running in the shop. 20 degrees outside and 65 in the shop. Life is good. Done some more cleaning and organizing. Worked on my cousins shop. Putting insulation, ceiling and walls. He's the metal guy, and I do the wood working.

More tuning and testing of machines

Did a little more tuning and testing of my tablesaw, jointer and planer. Getting ready for a larger project to start next week, picked up the lumber (QSWO) on Saturday and it is stickered in the basement getting used to my atmosphere.

Picked out a bit of birch and some walnut and decided to try my hand at a checkerboard end grain cutting board. Also my first time using Gorilla Glue and a couple of cabinet maker clamps (Jorgenson brand). I really like the G.G. for its longer open time but it is a bit of a mess. Definately a good choice for a cutting board. And I'm diggin' the new clamps, I've been using pipe clamps and F-clamps with creative cauling to keep things square. Cabinet clamps are much easier for panel glue-ups! Also cut up some white oak scraps for making hot-plates but didn't get that all glued up yet.

Last coat of mineral oil applied. Just a little guy board, 8" x 10" so I skipped the finger relief on the bottom and just rounded the edges with a 1/4" roundover bit.

Say "cheese board"! Great fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by James Suzda View Post
    Trying to stay warm! Way too cold in the unheated garage/workshop. I've got some water in a pail and there is a thin ice crust on the water.
    It's been abnormally cold this winter here in central Missouri. So I broke down and bought a wall hung gas heater. I've got it plumbed into my natural gas so I don't have to worry about propabe tanks. It works well, but it had a lot of concrete, stone and castiron to warm up once I got it running. I've probably got $300 tied up in the stove, extra black iron pipe and fittings.