Thread: Finish diagnosis

Finish diagnosis

I'm trying to replicate the species, color and topcoat of these examples...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Anyone here have any ideas what was used based on looking at these pictures?

I've been experimenting with Maple using GF Espresso water-based stains, GF Dark Brown water-based dye stain, and TransTint Dark Walnut. The Maple still looks blotchy to me after staining, and I've even tried the shellac pre-wash (too light) and pre-stain conditioners (still blotchy). This leads me to question the species of wood I'm using.

I'm all ears if anyone wants to take a stab at diagnosing what was used here.

Appreciated,

Frank

Have you tried an oil base stain?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

It's almost impossible to identify the wood with that finish on it. If I had to guess, I would think first that it's birch. Much Pottery Barn/Crate & Barrel stuff is made with birch.

As to the finish, most likely its a sprayed on tinted color. It looks to be fairly heavy as little of the grain is showing through. Many factory applied "stain" finishes actually consist of 10-20 coats of various dyes, pigments, toners, sealers and clear coats.

You might contact the manufacturer and see if they can tell you what is used.
    Howie.........

Phil - The oil-based stains I tried were the most blotchy on Maple, even with the pre-stain conditioner.

Howard - I've not tried using Birch, but I can certainly try that as well. I tried using the Maple first since the Birch can have more natural color variation (red and brown tones).

I've not tried contacting the manufacturer, and in this example, I may need a translator to make the long-distance call for me.

I've got some Walnut scraps here as well, but I'm not sure that's the species used in this example.

I appreciate your help. Finishing is really a dark art to me.

often times a finish like that starts with a dye then a wiping stain then a toner. It is pretty tough to duplicate without spraying as the toner is finish with color added that you apply in multiple coats to attain the depth of color you want.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution