Thread: 1st time posting - need help?

1st time posting - need help?

First of all I would like to say I really appreciate this site and all the wealth of knowledge I have found here.
    Problem. I haven't worked to much with photo's yet, and would like to laser this photo on black brass. Have tried photo-grav. Reading tips I've found here. Photo comes fairly good, but I wondered if there was any way I can remove the background, so it doesn't laser. Would like to have black background. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leslie:
    What software are you using to edit your photos?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

The simplest way (and most time consuming though) not knowing what software your using, is to simply use your paint program to paint the background black. That way when you make it a negative for engraving into a black surface, the background will now be white, and will not engrave..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Leslie

Welcome to SMC. If you are using CorelDraw here is a link to some tutorials which may help.

http://coreldrawtips.com/index.html
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Leslie, welcome to the Creek. Let me kickstart you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thank you so much

Frank, thanks for the final artwork. And to all who responding to my post. That's why this forum is so great! I am using Corel Draw and Corel Photo Paint. I worked on it so much, I can remember what all I tried. But nothing worked. I drew a mask around her, and tried to turn the background black. Then went to photo-grav. But like I said nothing worked. Frank yours looked like a negative image, is this the step I was missing? Again, thanks so much.
    Also, a little about myself. I own and run a trophy and awards business in Enid, Oklahoma. We have a air base (good business here). I also do alot of schools, and companies, and have quite a bit of walk in business. This has been an established shop for about 30 years. I really just walked into it. I have a graphic arts degree, which has helped alot. I own a xenetech rotary machine (my old workhorse) and have had my epilog mini for almost 2 years. Unfortunatly, I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do for me. i.e. this is my 1st photograph. I seem to stay to busy to play on it much. I know I am missing alot of great opportunities. I have also ventured out into the letter-jacket business, and am getting ready to look at promotional products on a large scale. My daughter just started to work for me part-time so I am busy training her. God has really blessed my business. And my hard work has definately paid off. But I'm wanting to relax a little and enjoy my 3 grand babies. Again thanks for the help. Any additional step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Leslie.....what kind of stuff do you make for the schools...I'm looking to add some things to my portfolio to offer them.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve, mostly sports plaques and trophies. (all the sports - tournaments and end of season banquets) But we do some academic plaques, like golden eagle (mascot - eagles). Grade school perpetual plaques for outstanding reading (they call it AR points here). Val & Sal trophies and plaques. One school does close to 40 Honor plaques. Teacher of the Year Plaques. Medals for track meets (use rotary for this). As you see mostly plaques.