Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bessey vs. Jorgies

Bessey vs. Jorgies

I apologize ahead of time for bringing up such a "lively" discussion, but.... I don't have very many clamps and I will probably be spending some good cash on them. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Bessey K bodies and Jorgie Cabinetmasters?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I have both types and the nod goes to Cabinet master... bigger handles making it easier to tighten the clamps and .... the cabinet masters can be configured to morph into splitter mode as well...

On teh down side, if you get the older cabinet masters, they're subj to having an alum piece in the head break. Just call our friends at cabinet master and they'll send a new one....

Good Luck
    Joe in Tampa...

I have seen the Jorgies at the stores and it seems that the plastic cover on them are prone to cracking.... I have not seen this on the Bessys (which I own and purchased before the Jorgies were available.) I have also heard that the Jorgies have a tendency to get stuck, not sure if this has been corrected in the newer clamps...
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Both are great. I have all Bessey's and will likely stay that way "just because".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the cabinet masters and they work grate for me. I did get one to stick but the customer service was quick and on the money. You run the handle clockwise till it tightens then tap the handle away from the bar with a small soft mallet. it came right loose.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Last edited by Roger Fitzsimonds; 06-29-2004 at 3:21 PM. Reason: cant spell

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I have both. I think the Bessy has a smoother operation and engages the work piece quicker. $10-15 smoother, I'm not sure????
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    I have both. I think the Bessy has a smoother operation and engages the work piece quicker. $10-15 smoother, I'm not sure????

I also have both and probably would agree with Tyler whether the Bessy is worth the couple of bucks more. That said, I usually grab the Bessies before the Jorgies - like Jim " just because"
    Dan McLaughlin

I've also used both and prefer the Besseys by a little. I did notice some difference in operational smoothness but certainly not a lot. Either one will meet your needs. If I were starting from scratch, I'd buy the brand that was the least expensive.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Buy a Bessey and forget it! You could probably drive a truck over one and it will still work.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I have Bessy, some early mfg Jorgies and later mfg Jorgies. Up until I bought the later Jorgies I would have said that Jorgies were better, now I am not so sure. The later Jorgies are of a lesser quality and don't work as smoothly. If I buy again it will be Bessy.

Terry

90% of my clamps are Bessey...they are pricey but they are good. I have zero experience with Jorgie but I would just stick with the Bessey brand-name. I don't even think twice to purchase this brand of anything. In fact, I see Amazon/Tool-Crib will give you a killer deal if you buy 10 Bessey's (same size) at a shot...not sure I could swallow $290 for 10 40" Besseys but I was sure thinking about it! Good price...maybe we should set up some group buys...local group buys to keep shipping costs down??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I don't even think twice to purchase this brand of anything.
    Ditto... The only way I'm giv'in up my Bessey's for Jorgies is when you pry my cold, dead fingers from around them.

Seriously though, I never think about another brand. In my view they are worth the cost.

Chris - Nice idea about the group buy on Besseys. Wonder if anyone else would be interested?
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

I have the Bessey's, I've looked at the Jorgie's but always bought the Bessey's. When you find a good thing, stick with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    ...maybe we should set up some group buys...local group buys to keep shipping costs down??
    Sounds Good to me Chris, set it up, move closer to Florida and I'm in !
    Tony

Like Chris, I love my Bessey clamps and am unlikely to switch to Jorgies. I am sorry to say that, unlike Chris, 90% of my clamps are not Besseys. In fact, only 12.5% of them are Besseys, but I plan to increase that percentage to about 50 over time.

haha...we might be able to do some kind of delivery at Terry's picnic, Waymon.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.