Thread: Anyone used Sherwin Williams Wiping Stain?

Anyone used Sherwin Williams Wiping Stain?

In the past I've used Target Coatings Ultima stain with good results. I've got a little job that I need to finish in the next couple of days and don't have the time to wait for Target's stuff to get here. Has anyone used Sherwin Williams wiping stain? I'm not far from one of their stores and I need to get some paint there anyhow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Whenever I need to stain oak I have a custom mix made at the local Sherwin Williams. I don't know if all their stains have the same base or if it's still the same base as it's been some time since I've gotten it, but mine is a thin gel that works pretty well. It applies more evenly than liquid stains. The devil to get out of corners and other tight spots, but then what wiping stain isn't?
    And now for something completely different....

Can they custom match a stain? I have a door sample from the customer that I can take in.
    How do you find the workability of the stain? Is it easy to get uniform color and blending?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I had SW custom match a wiping stain for me few weeks ago I was very happy with the color match and the product.
    Next day service I will be using them in the future.
    Thank You
    Ed

Sure, they can match colors and make a custom mix. And I've had no problems blending edges. It's a little surprising as their stain dries really fast and I thought blending would be an issue, but it wasn't. I always try to let stain "cure" overnight but with the SW stuff I think anything I've done could be coated with a brush in a couple hours without smearing or picking up stain.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Tribby View Post
    Can they custom match a stain?
    Yes, they can and some stores have folks who are really good at it. The local SW store did a spectacular job creating a combination dye/pigment stain for the pine floors in our addition. It took the guy nearly three hours, but the end result was exactly what we wanted.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the fast drying oil base woodclassic line as a standard pigment stain now.

I like it overall. Sealcoat before the USL and you are good to go.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"