Thread: Building an exterior shop building

Building an exterior shop building

Friend of mine asked me to work with him on drawing up some architectural drawings for an exterior building he wants to build on his property to submit to the building dept. It's likely going to be more storage than a functional shop but he may add power later on and put tools in there, for now its just storage. It's going to be roughly 14'x18', no slab but rather a pressure treated posted foundation. I'm thinking off the bat 6x6 pt posts 8' on center and a pt sill beam/joists.

I have never drawn an exterior building like that, just slab or concrete wall foundations so it's new to me. Other than referring to local code any advice on laying it out, things to consider? Advice on maybe sourcing the trusses to a truss company? Things I could refer to? Thanks creekers.

Brian, check your local code. Most places allow a building up to 100 0r 120 square feet without a permit. It sure is a lot cheaper and easier to do it that way. Sure he might need two, but one could be for storage and the other one for working in. Just a thought from someone who has seen what problems building permits can be as well as how expensive they have become.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don thanks for the tip will check into that.

Check with your local lumber yard, my brother put up a pole barn last year. Carter Lumber had a kit that included the basic plans that he submitted to building department for approval.
    It was actually easy they did all of the thinking so everything was up to code and we did not have to run back to lumber yard for this and that it was all there.
    Thank You
    Ed

Some jurisdictions will also require that structure be portable to meet the non permit arena.

I kinda lucked out where I live. They do not require a permit for a portable structure, yet they also have no sq. footage max either. So my shop is 16 x 20, 2 story gambrel style barn built on 6x6x20 PT skids (3).

Just about all the surrounding towns have a 100sq ft and portable requirement, so as Don suggested, check the local codes as that will have a direct effect on how you design it.

Good luck, and show us pics if you can!
    Matt

When it comes to permits a lot of people try to find some loopholes and gray areas. The most cities and some towns do not require a permit for structures with the following:

- up to 100 sq. ft (that will vary by jurisdiction)
    - the new structure cannot be touching an existing structure, which includes the house, any previous sheds, barns, garages etc.
    - lot coverage (specific to localities) may nullify the maximum area allowed without a permit
    - the new structure must be built within predefined location constraints such as number of feet from a neighbor or road allowance line.
    Last edited by Darius Ferlas; 01-25-2009 at 7:45 PM.