Thread: Advice on PC 7518 Router

Advice on PC 7518 Router

I am looking to get set up with a PC 7518 router, lift and table extension for my TS.

Question,
    I am looking at the Classified section here and on Ebay for a 7518. I am seeing a couple of different flavors. Most seem like 5 speed units and one is a variable speed unit. I'm assuming that last one might be a newer version.

Is there any version of the 7518 that serves better for this purpose? I own a DeWalt DW625 plunge router with electronic and variable speed, and I love it. I have used this on my homemade router table for a number of years, but I'd like to upgrade to a more precise table with less adjustment headaches.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Phil

All P-C 7518's are 5-speed. Some mis-label it variable speed! But fact is, 5 different speeds instead of infinitely variable speed. Older 7518's are Type 1. Newer to date are Type 2. I believe (some part numbers are different between the two. Both are Excellent routers. You won't be sorry you got a 7518!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Second Chip's motion.

I have a table mounted PC7518 and am very happy with it. I'll mention one thing for future reference. If you get a 7518 and sometime down the road, you find it doesn't like to run at the slower speeds, clean the dust out of the speed control module. Several folks here have reported that problem and most, including me, have found a cleaning to be the solution.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Look for PC75182. This is the "variable speed" motor only. You can sometimes find it for $280 or so.

Blog Entries
    I bought 7518 motor for $15 from a local shop that has several CNC machines. The motor needed new brushes $15, and a base $25 (ebay for both). The router has performed well for the past 2 years. If you are buying one to mount I would recommend this route. You could probably get a motor on ebay for less than $100.

I've had a 7518 mounted in my router table for several years. It's been a real workhorse. I've raised many panels and cut lots of rails and stiles without any problems.

I have to disagree!

Some of the newer model Pc 7518's have collet overheating problems. Porter Cable, for at least a period of time, started using cheaper bearings that caused overheating problems, I don't know if they have corrected the issue but I have one with the cheap bearings and it gets so hot I have to use gloves to change router bits.

Almost all of the ShopBot CNC owners who run a router have been using the 7518 for years. Most have been moving away from PC because of the bearing problem moving to Milwaulkee routers instead.

If you purchase a 7518 that has been on the shelf for a year or two you will most likely own one that needs to have the bearings replaced. Remember that Porter Cable is nothing but Black and Decker now, don't judge them today on past experience.

Help....I have been looking for a 7518 motor for table use. I have been reading for quite a while that the 7518 has gone down hill, as Keith reports. Now my question. In the Milwaukee line what motor would one expect to live up to the former standars of the 7518? Or better yet let me ask about any motor or router out there on todays market for table use.

Man, I like this forum!

Everybody gives a little nugget of advice, put it all together and I get a good picture of what to expect. I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by george cooke View Post
    in the milwaukee line what motor would one expect to live up to the former standars of the 7518?
    mw 5625-20
    Matt

I'm having the same issue/concern with the latest reports of 7518 issues.

My question is whether a Milwaukee 5625 motor will sit in a Bench Dog pro-lift (which I already have). Does anybody know ?

Charlie

BD lift and Milwaukee

Charlie, This is a e-mail I got from Larry Fairbank.
    "The Milwaukee 3.5 HP EVS Router Table Motor with remote power and variable speed (sold as JessEm Part # 05626) fits the Bench Dog ProLift perfectly, using the .030" shim. It required only a minimum amount of spreading to allow the motor to drop into the lift.

This is possible because Milwaukee removed the height adjustment mechanism from the motor and relocated the power switch, speed control circuitry/dial to the remote module.

As you can see from the attached images, the location for a motor-mounted power switch falls right behind the ProLift height adjustment screw. (This is the only orientation that works.) It is possible that the switch may not actually interfere with the adjustment screw. In that case, leaving the switch "on" and plugging the motor into a switched outlet on the router table would work just fine. Changing speed would be an inconvenience, however."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting that reply Eduard!

Speed changes aren't that frequent and I use a remote switch, so it looks like it would work ok.

Charlie