Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zambus VS Great Lakes Casters Again

Zambus VS Great Lakes Casters Again

I bought a set of Great Lakes casters for my workbench and when the feet are engaged I find that there is a little more play or movement than I would like. When the caster is uninstalled there is noticeable play in the bearing part of the caster, there is also play between the rubber foot and the foot housing, so when the foot is jacked down you have play coming from two places. Do you get this kind of play or movement from the Zambus casters as well?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A. Jackson View Post
    I bought a set of Great Lakes casters for my workbench and when the feet are engaged I find that there is a little more play or movement than I would like. When the caster is uninstalled there is noticeable play in the bearing part of the caster, there is also play between the rubber foot and the foot housing, so when the foot is jacked down you have play coming from two places. Do you get this kind of play or movement from the Zambus casters as well?
    Dave

I have both Zambus and Great Lakes casters. All heavy equipment (Bandsaw, 24" planer, gear head drill press, horizontal mortiser, etc) is mounted on Zambus caster; smaller stuff (sanding disk, etc) is mounted on Great lakes Casters.
    Zambus casters are build heavier, to closer tolerance with a much better fit and finish. I have no noticable movement on equipment mounted on Zambus caster.

Cheers
    Bernhard

I mounted these casters on my Nova 1624-44 lathe today. I am seeing the same movement as was described by Dave. Movement comes from more than one area of the caster whether the foot is extended or retracted.

Unless, I am missing something in the setup, my current view is that these casters are unusable for a lathe.

...Bob

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, GLC are way less than half the cost of Zambus; wonder why? I'm all for saving money and have a couple different versions of casters in the shop. But, the saying holds true; right tool for the job and all that. The weight of your bench would certainly come into play.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-21-2010 at 1:46 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I ordered these after reading several posts about how these casters were being used successfully with PM 3520s. If my set are representative, I wouldn't want to be in the room with a PM sitting on this set running at full song.

I have a 800lb MM20 on a set of GLCs with zero play or issues. The GLCs can definately handle a heavy tool.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I put the GL casters under my PM160 planer and it's like a rock when the feet are down.
    David DeCristoforo

These are actually Foot Master castors sold by several places and are a South Korean product. I'm very happy with the sets I have. Just match the load bearing capacity to the tool.

I have a set of the GL casters on my Grizzly 514x2 bandaw. No issues here. It's rock solid when the feet are down and rolls smoothly when retracted. Granted, I don't move my saw often, but have not had an issue when I need to roll it out of the way.

I have a set of GL casters under my 18’’ Laguna bandsaw and they work great.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Smile I have a set of GL casters . . .

I have a set of GL casters under my 12’’ Jet Planer/Jointer Combo and they are solid. Although they are attached to a very sturdy mobile stand. I believe it weighs about 600 lbs with the stand.

I do have the plate mount style & I understand that does eliminate some of the potential for movement compared to the stem mount style.

I know you should not have to do this, but I would suggest cutting some small squares, maybe 2"X2" out of some 1/2" rubber sheet and place those under the feet prior to cranking down. This way you are not at the end of the leveling screw. You can try it with a piece of plywood to see if it helps any. I did this on a set of used casters I got for free and it helped very much.

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

My problem doesn't appear to be the weight. There simply is not a solid connection between the stem that screws into my stand and the foot. The body of the caster wobbles on the bearing race. All four of them do that.

It takes no effort to make the entire lathe sway with the feet hitting the floor and the wheels just slightly off the deck.

Bob, which model # did you buy that you are having problems with? I see many different GL casters on their site. To others, how much over the stated weight rating if any should you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Bob, which model # did you buy that you are having problems with? I see many different GL casters on their site. To others, how much over the stated weight rating if any should you go?
    Good question, Peter. I picked up on this thread that started with a similar concern about the what appears to be casters I bought.

http://www.greatlakescaster.com/grea...-NYP-S-M12.php

That's what I bought.

As an aside, this model appears to be the only actual "Great Lakes Caster" (as in a house brand). All the rest on the site appear to be "Footmaster". I wonder if the folks who are having success are using the Footmaster or the same set I bought.

...Bob
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 03-21-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Thought I'd bump this up to see if we are all talking about the same casters. I went back and checked the GLC site and I wonder if those of you having no problem are using a different model. I have the house brand at $15 and change. They are rated at 220 lb. each. Probably more importantly, they wobble in your hand, even before they are mounted.