Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

26 Jan 2009

Wow.!!! January is almost gone. Time has sure flown by before I could even bat my eyes 3 times.....or it seems any way.

I've started putting the lacquer finish on the walnut kitchen table project and I would have had it done by now, but I've been working at the day job most of the time with an occassional hit of time in the shop. Once I get my coffee this morning and get myself to moving around a bit, I should be in the final throws of the kitchen table project this week.!!! Yea!!!!

Once this is done, I believe that I will take some time and do a little turning and then start the LOML Jr's hope chest.

I'm working on a floor design for a photographer friend of mine of where the floor needs to be able to be folded in half and rolled out of the way. No further progress on this right now.

Just trying to stay warm today and waiting to see how much freezing rain, ice, and maybe some snow we get today through Wednesday of this week. At least that's what the weather folks are saying. But.....as we say here in Arkansas.....don't like the weather? Just wait 5 minutes.

Played bass at church on yesterday as well as some work for the day job.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Cut and installed the dust panels for a highboy. Started on the drawers by installing the kicks and cutting the sides and backs. This thing needs to be finished in 6 days. Maybe---maybe not.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Saturday I worked on low voltage wiring in the house in preparation for DirecTV coming this morning to install a new dish and HD DVR. Our original phone wiring was kind of cobbled, there were two generations of satellite wiring, and the antenna wiring was a mess, so I gutted it all and ran new CAT5e and RG6 inside the walls instead of the cheesy through-the-floor wiring that existed. Everything goes back to a closet in the basement now too so it will be more flexible for future changes.

Got the cooling slots cut in the shelves for the new entertainment center and completed the drawer. I'm hoping to finish construction tonight. and maybe finishing by the end of next weekend.

Applied wax to a week project.. chain-sawed trees that fell a week ago after the rains...

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pulled an all nighter Saturday replacing a HD and reloading software on my wifes photography computer. Then...pulled an all evening'er getting the house clean and laundry done before she got home last night! Whew!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-26-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had a pretty productive weekend. Worked out in the garage/shop most of the weekend....My Mother-in-Law was in town so it didn't bother me that it was only 5 degrees in the garage....as those conditions were more bearable than the conditions in the house.

I got a ton of work done out in the garage. Cleaned it out, ran a new 60amp sub panel, installed a 5KW heater, built the frame for a 'mobile workbench' that will help with some of the space constraints that I have...all in all a good weekend.

Got the majority of my wall hand tool chest done and put on the wall, then started making finger joint cuts for the boxes in it and WHAM, the sawstop brake fired and at my sd608 dado. (thread documenting that and its resolution are at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102714 )

Not much else. Got to crawl around on the roof and fix some shingles from Hurricane Ike, FINALLY. I hate steep roofs.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Started on a coat rack for the entryway over the weekend. Bought a piece of AC ply to make the form for some bent laminations and got the form started. I'm making it up as I go, so it will either be pretty cool or a design nightmare. Whatever the case, I'll have fun with it and it shouldn't take too long to finish. The speaker project needs some nice weather so I can spray some black lacquer outside, so it will wait until the coat rack is done.
    Jay St. Peter

Hung out with family and friends. Though about my next projects (joiners mallet, nightstand, tool chest).
    Not an overly productive weekend, the little one is cutting teeth and she was a little grumpy.

Under the weather a little Sat, so stayed home while LOML drove to Abeline for a dog show. Sunday felt much better, during afternoon we went to a friends house and played with a litter of 8 week old Irish Setter pups. That was fun. Stopped by HD for some lumber to start on my light reflectors in the finishing room, got the wrong stuff ...played on the computer the rest of the day. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I tore into my riding lawn mower. Last time I tried to use it in the fall it was smoking from a seized bearing. At the end of the weekend I thought back on the whole mess and commented to the Mrs. that I really don't like working on cars or mowers.

I did get an hour or so of woodworking with the boy. He has his pine derby racer for the boy scouts. I made him sketch out the outline of his car while I cleaned mower shrapnel out of the way. I then glued his pattern to the supplied block of pine. Main cutout done with bandsaw, secondary cuts by hand. I took care of the filing and riffling to his careful inspection. Then I turned him loose with the sandpaper. He gave it a good go for about 10 minutes and called it done. I explained why he was sanding and he gave it another 5 minutes.

Okay, off to the scales. Only 2.9 ounces. Hmmm, we can get up to 5 ounces. I still have some scrap steel rod from the vise hardware. So we make a weight and then layout where it is going to go. He decides it needs to be stealth, he doesn't want it messing with his well laid out aesthetics. So I show him how to lay out the slot on the bottom of the car and the router bit I will use to cut it. He then helped me set the edge guide and watched from a few feet back as I plunged the groove.

It is nice to have a project to share with my kids from time to time. About the only issue I ever have with it is that just as we are finishing one project they want to start 5 more
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

Outside of finally getting the holiday stuff put away, this was pretty much an equestrian weekend with lessons on Saturday and the show on Sunday. The latter was fun. Due to the low attendance because of very cold weather, yours truly did pretty well. LOL

J-Jan-Show-2.jpg

J-Jan-Show-3.jpg

Yes, that's a first place/grand champion for the day ribbon. Of course, it was in a field of three riders.

J-Jan-Show-1.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Built a 10'x6' wall of bookshelves for the wife. Took me ~6 hrs in SketchUp to draw and measure all of the components and 1 full day in the garage to measure, cut, sand, and assemble!

A router jig for the 30-someodd mortises (and the fact that I didn't bother to square them off) saved a ton of time.

Welcome Joe!

Great first post Joe!

Since I live in a moderate climate, I was able to get in two good bike rides this weekend - a 43 mile ride on Saturday, and an 82 mile ride on Sunday. Weather wasn't too bad, and I'm not even sore today, so I must be doing OK. BTW, that's a bicycle.......and I've never had one with a decent motor!
    Maurice