Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to a Saw Stop

Upgrade to a Saw Stop

Guys,

I have a 1 year old SC Granite topped 3hp table saw that has been real nice to use. Recently over dinner my wife told me everytime she hears the saws running in the garage she worries. I explained what a saw stop is and how a new one would run in the $4000 range. She didn't seem to care what the price was. I also told her I didn't think that I could justify spending that much to make one piece of equipment safe when there are still others that can do lots of damage. I am very happy with my SC saw an love the granite top. I have lots of trouble with condensation in my shop through out the year, so that is one less piece of cast iron I have to worry about.
    I just came across a 1 year old 5hp single phase Saw Stop for $3000 or best offer. It has a 52" fence. I really don't have room for that length of table. So, I would have to find smaller rails. It also includes extra brakes and blades.
    I am really only in need of one more tool for my shop and that is a drill press. So I could save the money spent on the Saw Stop for the drill press.
    I just am not sure what too do. My wife would be happier if we owned a SS, but it is 3k minus what I sell my saw for. What do you guys think!
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 01-26-2009 at 1:10 PM.

Delima

There are people on both sides of that fence. I personally own a sawstop. Not only is it the safest designed saw on the market it is also an extremely well built piece of machinery. See the video from Charles Neil where he goes into how well built it is.

I bougt mine because 1. I had the money 2. My fingers are worth more than $1000 each. 3. The table saw is the most likely piece of equipment for a woodworker to get seriously injured. The sawstop mechanism reduces the chances of amputation to a minimum. The riving knife also substantially reduces your chances of a kickback.

I have never regretted my purchase and never looked back. I have never had the breaking mechanism fire. Always be careful. Just because I have seatbelts and an airbag doen't mean I can drive like a maniac.

Todd

Is there literally no space to put the longer table or would it just disrupt your layout or make you eliminate a tool? Worst case you swap the rails with your SC.

I'd take my wife up on that offer so long as it wouldn't put us in the red, I'm already trying to cram 52" rails into a detached single car garage.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree with Todd. Piece of mind for yau and your wife. Its an awesome saw.
    Dave

Can of Boeshield T-9 for cast iron tops: ... $14.99
    Cost of slightly used SS: ........................ $3000
    Peace of mind for SWMBO: ..................... PRICELESS!

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that one. BTW, that is one sweet deal for the SS.

Disclaimer: I own and love a SS.
    Last edited by Carl Babel; 01-26-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Fat fingers :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Guys,

I have a 1 year old SC Granite topped 3hp table saw that has been real nice to use. Recently over dinner my wife told me everytime she hears the saws running in the garage she worries. I explained what a saw stop is and how a new one would run in the $4000 range. She didn't seem to care what the price was. I also told her I didn't think that I could justify spending that much to make one piece of equipment safe when there are still others that can do lots of damage. I am very happy with my SC saw an love the granite top. I have lots of trouble with condensation in my shop though out the year, so that is one less piece of cast iron I have to worry about.
    I just came across a 1 year old 5hp single phase Saw Stop for $3000 or best offer. It has a 52" fence. I really don't have room for that length of table. So, I would have to find smaller rails. It also includes extra brakes and blades.
    I am really only in need of one more tool for my shop and that is a drill press. So I could save the money spent on the Saw Stop for the drill press.
    I just am not sure what too do. My wife would be happier if we owned a SS, but it is 3k minus what I sell my saw for. What do you guys think!

Paul,
    I have to agree. Your wife's buyin and peace of mind is precious. If for any reason you don't want to buy the sawstop, let me know. I would love to bring that baby home here. Serious!

Blog Entries
    Paul
    Like you, I had a perfectly good saw (PM66). I tipped the end of my middle finger with its blade while making a dumb move. It wasn't the saw's fault. Two weeks later, while having my adult son using the saw, I turned to walk away. At that point, I realized that if I did not do everything possible to avoid a serious injury in my shop, I would regret it. I sold my PM66 to a fellow Creeker and bought a SawStop.

Honestly, the price of the SS versus what a finger could cost will justify the expense.

Both the PM66 and the SS are great saws!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Paul....can I have your wife talk to my wife?
    Maurice

Paul are you for real?

Your wife wants you to buy a SS and you're asking the opinion of a bunch of random people on a forum????

What part of SWMBO didn't you understand???????

In all seriousness, it's the only active saw safety device that I know of.

The only item missing is a good overarm guard so that you have dust collection and the ability to keep the guard on for non through sawing operations.

Do yourself and everyone in your family a favour and buy the SS at the great price you found, and buy an overarm guard.

Your wife will thank you............Regards, Rod.

The fact that your wife has no faith in your prowess in the shop is cause for disdain! You are a better *woodworker* than that! Since she only *hears* and does not *see* Keep the SC and paint it black, and have some *SS* decals printed up. Spend $3000 on new and different shop tools you have drooled over for a long period of time now. She has her peace-of-mind, and you have your NEW STUFF! Everybody is Happy!! I'm SoooooooBaaaaad!!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thumbs up

As long as the finances allow, get it. You will always be able to get more equipment down the road, but if she's nervous, this will go a long way to making her feel better about what you do. The older I get, the more I realize that giving the missus what she wants makes everybody happier in the long run.

As far as space goes for a saw with 52" rails it will disrupt the whole layout of my shop. I have a fairly large building 30x40 but in that building there are 2 motorcycles, 1 garden tiller, an very large ATV, a full sized extended cab pickup, a minivan, a toyota camry, a large mechanics tool box 5"x30"x6', a work bench, and my assorted wood tools. I have a seperate room in the basement of my house for glue-ups and finishing. I have really never minded haveing the shorter table on my saw. For the few times I break down plywood, I use a circular saw. The large fence doesn't really apeal to me that much. Do get me wrong if I have the space, I would use it, but I dont really have the space. I spoke to a saw stop dealer about buying shorter rails. I was told I have to buy the rails and the fence, I cannot get just the rails, it is a $400 package. He told me to cut the rails to what ever length I like. I hate to do that too, because if I ever win the lottery, I will build a seperate wood shop.

But as far as the saw goes I am having a really hard time with pulling the trigger on the saw. By no means will it but us into the red. But I am self employed and up to this point it looks like my income will be down about 40% this year if things keep up the way they are. My wife is the bread winner and her job is very secure. But what the future holds for my work is unsure.

Rod, I am for real. I have just been blessed with a wonderful women by my side. When we bought the 1st motorcylce about 7 years ago. I just mentioned bying a bike. And imediatly she said, "I always thought it would be fun for us to ride around on a bike, you should by one." I was kind of take back by that. And then to top it off she said lets get a Harley. She used to love riding around. But since we had our 1st child 17 months ago, I am usually by my self which is fine to me.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 01-26-2009 at 1:38 PM. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    The fact that your wife has no faith in your prowess in the shop is cause for disdain! You are a better *woodworker* than that! Since she only *hears* and does not *see* Keep the SC and paint it black, and have some *SS* decals printed up. Spend $3000 on new and different shop tools you have drooled over for a long period of time now. She has her peace-of-mind, and you have your NEW STUFF! Everybody is Happy!! I'm SoooooooBaaaaad!!!

And so in trouble when his wife asks for a hot dog demo on your painted SC saw.

Chip, you must live somewhere warm, cause there's no way I'd sleep in the dog house over trying to fool my wife on a SS purchase!...LOL

You are really lucky to have a wife that values your health for the purchase of a $4000 SS and have used machine locally. Buy the $3000 SS (or even bargain a little) then use the $1000 (or less) to get a DP.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    You are really lucky to have a wife that values your health for the purchase of a $4000 SS and have used machine locally. Buy the $3000 SS (or even bargain a little) then use the $1000 (or less) to get a DP.

Mike
    I assume that you won't keep both saws. It seems to me that this SS, if you purchase it and sell the other, will cost you in the neighborhood of ~$2K - unless my math is all jacked up...

Just trying to add fuel to the fire,
    Jesse
    "Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible." -HGR