Thread: Playing the waiting game....

Playing the waiting game....

Well...I sold my Warwick 5-String Bass last week. So now, I'm bassless and have purchased / ordered a new bass. I decided to go with a short scale Epiphone Elitist EB-3 bass. Unfortunately, these babies are not in stock anywhere in the U.S. These are made in Japan and are the top of the line bass that Epiphone offers. I settled on this one due to it being short scale and the other was price. I was able to get this one for $950 with free shipping to me. Everything I have read about this bass is very good.

So now, it's the WAITING game for my bass and lathe! Sheesh!!! I guess someone's trying to teach me patience or something.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Wink bass

WOW Jim $900 bucks for a bass? Hey I could have taken you out to Guntersville Lake for a whole day of fishing to get a bass for a lot cheaper than that!

I know the feeling...waiting on a tool purchase to arrive...

I'll be interested in your first thoughts of the new axx when it arrives, Dennis. Keep us posted!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I'm waiting to
    Congrats on your score.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

EB-3 for a Warwick ???? I hope it works out. You'll probably need to try a fair number of different strings (guage especially) to get the sound you want as a short scale length bass is a very different animal

Thumbs up

Dennis, let me know how that new ax works out!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Dennis, let me know how that new ax works out!
    Will do Ken....Looks like it will be mid-late July at current estimates!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    EB-3 for a Warwick ???? I hope it works out. You'll probably need to try a fair number of different strings (guage especially) to get the sound you want as a short scale length bass is a very different animal
    Steve,

I couldn't get enough money for my old Warwick to purchase a new one without having to fork out another $600 to $700 additional dollars for another Warwick with a short scale neck. I am playing a borrowed Fender J Bass now and I play worse on it than on my old Warwick. One thing I did notice however, the Fender J plays a lot easier than my Warwick ever did. Less finger board pressure.

What would you suggest on string guage? I have already found a set of Rotosound strings that are short scale that I want to try. $30 for a set of 4. From what I've been reading and researching on activebass.com, the folks that have short scale really like them and that a lot of vintage basses are short or medium scale.

In short, if I don't like it, I have 45 days to send it back...no questions asked. If I like it and it really does not work out after a year? I'll BUILD my own Bass and will get Tobias to shape the neck on their machine. How about a Short Scale 5-String? Possible?
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 07-02-2004 at 12:13 PM.
    Dennis -

A short scale 5 string? It's possible but you would have a rope for the B string. I wouldn't go there unless you went one higher and then tuned the bass down to a C, C#, or D (from E). You would still have ropes for strings though. I use to use Rotosounds a bit on my Alembic, what's the guage difference between their regular and short scale length strings? You might be able to try the lower 4 of a med-light 5 string set for your new bass (i.e. strings that you may currently have). I would probably include a set of D'Addario and GHS Brite Flats in the mix for testing. What sort of sound are you going for and what sort of amp rig? As for the J-Bass, they are easy on the hands aren't they. I agree that the Warwick is more stressful but the sound is awesome. I found that I needed to change the way I held the bass and the attitude my fingers attacked the strings. Making the changes eased the stress and greatly increased speed. I find that my Alembic neck is very easy to play, like the J-Bass, it's just that the sound isn't suitable for some types of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I know the feeling...waiting on a tool purchase to arrive...
    Do ya now?

May 1st I placed my order for the 16" J/P. I think they are still digging the tunnel to reach the ore for the steel!

...but, I'm cool...the aircraft carrier would just get in the way of the garage gut happening....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Waiting is the worst part.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Do ya now?

May 1st I placed my order for the 16" J/P. I think they are still digging the tunnel to reach the ore for the steel!

...but, I'm cool...the aircraft carrier would just get in the way of the garage gut happening....
    I have a new DJ20 Carrier and mm16 Destoyer sitting in the Dry docks fully armed with no fuel. I have to wait until July 23 for the electricity
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr