Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockler store in Buffalo = No thanks!

Luckily I have not had that type of experience at any of my local woodworking suppliers including my local Rockler. The only thing I will not about the local Rockler Store, is the EXTREME disconnect between the internet/corporate databases and the local store. When the Rockler Rewards program was running, I had to manually (via email with scanned receipts) update my account with the corporate office. That was quite a hassle, but the rewards/coupons they sent were worth it. That's not an excuse for the disconnect. In this day and age, there is no reason why they aren't running on the same line.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 01-27-2009 at 9:42 AM.

Brian, I'm sorry about your dealings with some Rockler clerks. At least at your store there is someone who will actually talk to people. The closest Rockler to me has several employees working all the time, but I can rarely get one of them to answer any questions. They're always "piddling" around the store or talking with each other someplace in the store. It's even hard to get someone to check me out. When I finally do get someone's attention the advice I've received was incorrect. Now, I drive about 45 minutes farther inland to a Rockler where I get fantastic service and the one that is down by my new home is great as well. They even give an automatic 10% discount to those of us who belong to the local woodworkers club.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Fortunately not all Rockler stores are the same. Brian Graham and the people at Cayce Co. represent Rockler just north of Baltimore and I occassionally have reason to be up in that area. The advice and service I get from them for years has been dead on and helpful. They don't always have every piece or part on hand but can usually get it within days; and the friendly wealth of advice has saved me many hours of redos.

Personally, I think Rockler has lost their way or something. I have two of the affiliate stores within 40 minutes of me. And I've never bought a thing at either because they can't honor the sale prices or percent off coupons Rockler sends out and many of Rockler's regular prices are outrageous. The nearest actual Rockler store is 1-1/2 hours away. They send me coupons all the time that I can't use. I emailed them and got an email back, supposedly from Ann Rockler-Jackson herself saying that they didn't have control of what the affiliates do, so sorry about your luck (I added that last part, but that was the tone I read.) But the coupons, gift cards, and ads have it printed right on them that they aren't honored at affiliates? Rockler has said this is their growth strategy and it seems doomed to fail to me for all but a small number of impulse or got-to-have-it-now type purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The Rockler store here in Cincinnati has excellent service. It is a company owned store.
    Since woodworking stores are not on every street corner. I think I would have given Rockler the opportunity to make things right. But you kinda closed the door on that saying "I will never step foot in the store again" No reason for them to even try now.
    I have pretty good luck with the Cincinnati store also. I was surprised one day when I went in and was browsing and someone said "Hi, Mike". I turned around to see who it was and it was the manager. Its not like I am in there every week but he still remembered my name.

I like Rockler.

Blog Entries

Contrary opinion

I've shopped in the Transit Rd, Amherst, NY Rockler store at least twice and both times I found the staff helpful and polite. I also spoke to them on the phone and they were also helpful and polite and expedited sending a router bit I needed in a hurry. Perhaps you caught them on a bad day or the conversation was misunderstood on one or both sides.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like the online Rockler...never been to a store. But...don't get me started on our local Woodcraft.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mohr View Post
    I like the online Rockler...never been to a store. But...don't get me started on our local Woodcraft.....
    I live in twin city, mn. There are 4 Rockler stores in town and one Woodcraft. Actually I shopped at Woodcraft more than at Rockler. It seems to me the staff in Woodcraft has more knowledge and is more friendly.

I can feel there are different atmosphere in different Rockler stores. Maybe it is related to the store managers.

10. I've been watching this discussion, and wasn't going to post, but changed my mind.

Everything stated in this thread so far could also be stated about McDonalds, Starbucks, Walmart, or any one of a million retailers. ( i'm sure the same could be said for internet sites, to a degree, as well, as another topic currently being posted about is demonstrating.)
    Some have good experiences, some not so good. I think it is up to an individual as to the value of these interactions and act accordingly.

Happily, thats what I see happening here. some have had good experiences and will continue, some have not, and won't continue.

What makes me proud of the Creek is how civil everyone is in voicing their opinions politely over two pages.

Keep up the good work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nearest Rockler store is over an hour away.....nearest Woodcraft is about 50 minutes (but typical weekday traffic would easily make that 1.5 hours)......needless to say, i don't get the urge to go to either one....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

12. I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

JohnT, Every time I read you signature line, I get a visual, and an instant chuckle. Thanks!! Darren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got to agree with Dave and Mike that the Cincinnati store is great! I've bought lots of stuff there, though nothing real big dollar-wise, and I've always been treated very well. Woodcraft in Cincy is another story!

Bob

I've been to the Denver Rockler only once, but I spent over $1,000 during that visit. My experience was very positive. Rockler had advertised all Delta power tools on sale that day and the staff honored every single discount. Furthermore, I bought some DC accessories which they also discounted just as a courtesy. (I know that stuff has a high markup, but I still appreciated the discount.) I found their list prices to be quite reasonable.

The staff were very helpful as I was just getting back into woodworking and knew very little. I was looking at a DC and an associate told me he had the same DC and was somewhat underwhelmed. By opting for the Delta DC, I got a bigger machine and a discount to boot.

I'm reminded a very good friend of mine (also an SMC member) got me a Rockler gift card for Christmas. I'm going to make another trip to Denver.

Just need to keep everything in perspective. so to speak

Did you ever read Calvin and Hobbes? The "forced perspective" ones he had with all his snowmen used to keep me in stitches.....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.