Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of a Salem Secretary I built in school - Thomas MacDonald

Pictures of a Salem Secretary I built in school - Thomas MacDonald

This desk and bookcase was inspired by a distinct group of exceptional case pieces made in Salem, Mass., in the late 18th century. It features period correct proportions, hand-carved details, blocking profiles, ball-and-claw feet, moldings, and interior layout.

In the construction of the piece, the grain patterns and color of the four lower drawers, lid, writing surface, book matched doors, moldings, and pediment details were purposely chosen in relation to their original location in a single 2-inch thick, 42-inch-wide-by-14-foot-long mahogany board. The sides were chosen in the same fashion from a 1-1/4-inch thick mahogany board measuring 30-inches-wide-by-12-feet long.
    The hand-shaped wood inside the desk and bookcase was chosen with the same attention to grain and pattern. The finish is a hand rubbed shellac French polish, color matched to give it a warm, rich, glowing patina through the entire piece. Bold brass hardware, typical of the period, finishes the secretary.
    Dimensions: 103-inches high, 45-inches wide, 24-1/2-inches deep.

Congratulations!

I'd say graduating shouldn't be a concern. Fine work.
    Dan

That's a serious piece of furniture. I am impressed.

Yep, I'm a hack. Phenominal work Thomas! How long did it take?

Very impressive, thanks for sharing...joe

Hey T-chiz,
    IIRC this was your graduation piece. I have seen other photos of it but not these!

Thanks for posting!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

blockfront

thanks guys ...this piece took about 8 months 6 at school and 2 at home in my basement....i made this my 2nd year...this is the piece that got me on bob vilas home again t.v. show and in fine woodworking in 2003...i have a ton of photos of all mt work up close like this...i just didnt want to bury you guys with it ...i am in the process of putting a library together at my site...i hope by the end of january...i was thinking i could post a picture once a week or something ...then open it up for discussion...you know the how and why of it design and or execution ......

Tommy,
    Where do you get all that wonderfully wide mahogany from?
    Maurice

TChisel,

I've been to your site and watched some of your how-to videos. Great stuff. I've also seen other pics of that secretary and it's always inspiring to look at such a beautifully crafted piece.

Thanks for the additional pics and keep showing your stuff. I could look at it every day.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Just stunning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    Just stunning!!!
    Yeah, what he said!

But it really does not work with that ceiling....
    "It's Not About You."

This stuff is just phenomenal!! I have really enjoyed all the pics. Even knowing I could never do something like this, it is still inspiring.

Amazing work. Which school did you say?

Thomas, what can I say other than the secretary is gorgeous.

Although you didn't specify, any chance the school was North Bennett Street School?

my school

yup..NBSS....2002