Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Scam (How does this work?)

You all got it. Same thing was going on a while back with forged money orders. I work in the InfoSec field and it nevers seems to end, they always come up w/ something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I wouldn't write back at all--just delete it.

Most of the time, that's exactly what I do - delete and ignore. But, occasionally, I'll see just how far I can string one of them along before they give it up.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Pass it off to the Secret Service. I believe fraud is one of their jobs.

I recently sold a washer and dryer on Craigslist. I got at least three scam offers to buy. Interestingly enough, I sold a brand new LCD computer monitor and got no scam offers.

You can usually tell which replies are legit and which are not pretty easily. Most of the non-legit offers just ask if you still have the item without even mentioning the name of the specific item. If you answer the email then they send the scam email. I still answer every email that isn't clearly a scam just in case, but real emails usually ask about condition and maybe ask when they can come look at the items and sometimes ask you to call them.

I don't include a phone number so I won't be bombarded with tire kickers. I've never had a problem with selling anything without a phone nubmer.

A friend of mine was almost taken by this. She was selling an $11,000 loader. The buyer sent her a company check by FedEx, but it wasn't an actual check, it was a photocopy of a check, front and back. She called the bank listed on the check, and they said they'd never heard of the company in question and they didn't have an account with them. The buyer requested when she got the check to send him instructions on where to pick up the loader. She said she never sent the instructions and was glad she didn't take the heck to the bank.

But I told her that even if she had, no bank will accept a photocopy of a check. These guys didn't even bother to try to fake a REAL check, just a copy of one??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Most of the time, that's exactly what I do - delete and ignore. But, occasionally, I'll see just how far I can string one of them along before they give it up.
    I do the same thing with telemarketers. I'll act real interested, let them get started on their spiel and then ask them to hold on for "just a second". I set the phone down and let them listen to me working in the shop or office till they hang up. I figure if they are listening to me shuffle around, they aren't calling you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I do the same thing with telemarketers. I'll act real interested, let them get started on their spiel and then ask them to hold on for "just a second". I set the phone down and let them listen to me working in the shop or office till they hang up. I figure if they are listening to me shuffle around, they aren't calling you.
    If I'm in a mood to mess with them I push a button on the phone whenever they start talking. The smart (dumb?) ones figure out that the phone makes that noise whenever they talk so they try to speed up or slow down there talking to get around it. Yeah, I need to get a life....

But the funniest one I've heard came from Bob and Tom where the guy acts like the telemarketer called a murder scene and starts questioning him about his relationship with the deceased. Its on YouTube I believe.

Here's a new one I got in the e-mail this morning. First of all, I have no web store, and I have never dealt electronics.

To Whom It May concern:

My name is Jxxxx Wxxx from Singapore. I'm currently looking for overseas partnership business that will be able to supply Garmin GPS MAP 76CSx (Part Number: 010-00469-00).

I have visited your web store today and observed that your company carrying for performance parts product. Please let me know if you will be able to supply for us, ship overseas and accept visa and mastercard payment because I want to order for:

Name of Product: Garmin GPSMap 76CSx (P/N: 010-00469-00).
    Quantity : 35 units

My shipping destination is Singapore and prefer to ship via FedEx International Priority, or DHL Express. So, if you agree with my proposal please let me know your latest price include shipping cost.

I'm really hope you can be my assistance to get the Garmin GPSMap 76CSx (P/N: 010-00469-00) and ship it out to me. Please note, that the payment will be made by visa and mastercard. Your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hear the good news from you.ASAP.

Best Regards,
    Jxxxx Wxxx

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I got one that said he would send extra money for me and so I could pay his shipper. I emailed him back to send his shipper the check and have him bring cash to me. Then let him know I was born at night but not last night. Never heard back.
    Mike

I have a little experience in dealing with scams.

This one is normally a pick up scam. It is usually an associate that picks up the property and leaves with it. Once the check doesn't clear they are long gone. It is normally reserved for high value items they can turn around quickly or will use themselves.

The smart ones don't keep the items around but fortunately for us most crooks aren't all that bright. The smart ones are exponentially more difficult to make a case on.

Once the scam of sending additional money stopped working they switched over to things like this which work much better and more often.

Some of the scams are pretty impressive. I know a detective on a public assistance fraud team and they do a couple big sweeps every year. Each time the seizures to go along with criminal charges ranks in the six figures.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Had an older VW listed on Craigslist, got an email from a guy in Florida, said he would pay full price, wanted mail address and would send a check. He sent full price plus the extra for the guy who was going to pick the car up, asked me to pay him from the extra. I took the check to the bank it was written from. I told them it seemed fishy, they checked the account and stated it was a good check from a real account but said there is a note to contact someone if the check amount exceeds 5000. They tried for a week to get someone and had no response. I chose not to cash it and never heard back from the guy. I later read that it was a big scam.

FYI, just asking your bank if the check is good is not enough. As has been mentioned, it may in fact be a real check but may have been forged, altered and/or copied. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to come back as frauds or invalid. By that time you have most likely spent the money long ago and now have to make up the amount of the check PLUS any checks you have written against the funds PLUS any overdraft/returned check fees.

These kind of "deals" or "offers" are ALWAYS scams.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I get those things all the time from the Craigslist advertising I have been doing. I just ignore them. Got one last week on a truck I had advertised. On stuff like that, I insist on the person coming to my place to look at the item. I can then get a feel for who I'm dealing with. Those scammers obviously aren't coming to my place....sooo..regardless of what they offer I ignore. Cash is my byword. I did sell a moulder to guy in Florida not long ago, but he was totally legitimate and it worked out well. I am very skeptical about "cashier's" checks.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I wouldn't write back at all--just delete it.

Whenever I post something on Craigslist, I put something at the bottom to the effect that "Scammers need not apply--no, I won't take a check and send you the difference". I also always put in the ad that I'll only take cash at the time of pickup. I figure I'll say right up front that I'm not falling for it. It seems to work because I don't get these types of messages, or maybe GMail is getting rid of them for me. The other thing that seems to work is pricing the item to move fast so they don't even get a chance.
    I find that its " bots" Computer programs that find high dollar amount items and have a general script that gets auto sent. Then if you respond you will get someone live. So for the most part on the scams I get ,this wouldnt work.