Thread: Grizz Jointer Motor & VBelt

Grizz Jointer Motor & VBelt

There is quite a bit of play in the fan belt. Directions made no mention as to correct placement of motor.

What should I be looking for in "play" of the fan belt?

Should I invest in one of those Vbelts from Grizz? I have read on this forum that those belts minimize vibration.

Other than adjusting for the motor height and cleaning off the grease, so far so go.

Could you give a sepcific model? I recently got a G0490 and there is another thread on here giving suggestions on how to tighten the belt.

I ordered my Fenner V-belts from Amazon, you get 5ft vs 4ft for the same price and free shipping. IIRC I had about 18-20" left over from my jointer, so once I'm done with my TS and bandsaw I should have enough to put together a belt for the planer I'm gonna be getting.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

GO490X

The Amazon price is better than Grizzly's. What size belt do I need for my Grizz? Is it one size fits all?

In the manual under section 5: accessories it lists G3640 1/2 x 48" V-belt. 1/2" is the same size my BS, TS, and future planer use so I bought 3 sets of the belt I linked and with the extra ft per I should have enough for all tools.

Here's a thread with pics and some suggested upgrades (dust chute/belt guard)

For tightening the motor I ran across the following pic, hope it helps.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

In the pic you see the motor frame is bolted to another frame which moves up and down in long slots in each vertical member. Loosen those nuts to let the weight of the motor pull the frame downward. Prying downward on the motor with a short board between the top of motor and that horizontal frame will tighten the belt even more. Check for alignment of the motor pulley with the cutter head pulley and tighten the bolts again. Deflection of the belt should be (not much)! maybe 1/4" at most.

Power-twist link belts are good for TWO things. Easy to make the length belt you need, AND they lessen vibrations in certain machines! (They worked wonders on a CS and BS for me)! But, unless you experience serious vibration with a tight belt and aligned pulleys, a power twist belt is really not needed. In fact, my used Delta DJ20 (very similar to the Grizz) had a power-twist belt and I took it off. The thickness of the link belt rubbed the opening under the upper pulley guard. If it had been a 3L (3/8") belt it would have worked, but the 4L (1/2") was too fat. The DJ20 runs really FINE without it.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I really like the AX series of belts. The run much smoother and don't have the high cost of the Fenner Power Twist. I once bought about 35' of Power Twist belting and put it on all my machines, but after trying the AX series of belts, I have changed most of my machines to that. It is much quieter and just as smooth.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ax-section-v-belts/=chu80