Thread: Blanket chest wedding gift

Blanket chest wedding gift

My cousin was married this past weekend and I made her and her new hubby a blanket chest for their gift. It was well received - thank goodness.

The chest was constructed from one of Norm's plans (it came from the first NYW book). I used maple for the frames and top and curly maple for the panels. The chest's bottom is lined with aromatic cedar. Finish used was two coats of Watco danish oil (natural) followed with four coats of satin wipe-on poly. The interior was unfinished.

Thanks for looking! I am quite inspired by the work you guys do and are willing to post!

On a side note, got to meet Donnie Raines while home for the wedding. Nice guy and interesting to talk shop with!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made that too

I made that same blanket chest only out of pine. It sits right here in the living room full of blankets. I stained the panels green. You did a nice job.

David, great look chest!! I've seen that chest before - I have a woodworking friend that made it several years ago. I too have the Norm book with the plans for that chest. I will make it one day - out of vertical grain pine. I really like the lines on that chest.

Thanks for posting!! I bet your cousin & her hubby will treasure that for years! How long do you think it took you?

Talking

Todd,
    I didn't keep close track, but I'd guess around 30 to 40 hours in the shop with an efficiency of 50 to 75% so maybe 25 to 30 hours of working time. Norm's book says 3 to 4 days.
    I started with skip planed stock so that added some to the project. The finishing process took 2 weeks to allow for the danish oil to cure before applying the wipe-on poly.
    It was a fun project. The LOML was hoping my cousin wouldn't like it so she could have it in our house. That was a SUBTLE hint that I have another one to do!
    Dave
    Last edited by David Hayes; 06-30-2004 at 5:39 PM.