Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage laser parking system

Garage laser parking system

I am interested in installing two laser lights that would attach to the ceiling of our garage. They would be alligned so that the light would show up on the dash of our vehicles to indicate we are at a preferred spot to park in the garage. I have done a bit of research and there are numerous kinds with power ranging from double a batteries to 9 volt batteries to plug in to 110. Activation is by the light turning on from your opener or motion sensor. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these units and could give me some pros and cons of different devices or any recommendations. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Or connect a tennis ball to a string and set it up so when you drive into it and it touches your windshield (or side mirror or whatever), you're "in".
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

John, we always used a paddle ball for Grandma. Now I need it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thought of that but don't want a pair of balls hanging in my garage. I just think they would be in the way.

>> in the way

very true! great idea, but I've no experience with anything like that.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I got these for my daughter http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...-set-of-2.html
    No batteries just pick up to sweep, also helped with lateral parking.
    Thank You
    Ed

Shop Notes had an article about these gizmos in the recent past - reviewed 4 or 5 commercially available products. Don't have the mag in front of me now but if you can't locate it, send me a PM and I'll dig it out.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Bob, I installed one of these in a 3 car garage but I don't use it anymore. It was hard to get the spot adjusted and stay in one place. You never park your car in the exactly same spot each time, at least my wife didn't. I just put down a 2x4 with double face tape and it has worked well.

I use my cord caddy and have the cord end hanging so when my wife pulls in she just touched it on the windsheild. My side I center myself with the window to the left of my truck. If I hadn't had the cord caddy I would have went the cord and tennis ball route.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Or connect a tennis ball to a string and set it up so when you drive into it and it touches your windshield (or side mirror or whatever), you're "in".
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rufener View Post
    Thought of that but don't want a pair of balls hanging in my garage. I just think they would be in the way.
    First, you don't need a pair, you only need one.

I've had a rubber toy ball on a string in my garage for at least 9 years now. It's cheap (free), it's easy to setup, and it works great.

I don't really find that it gets in the way. Of course, the car spot in our garage is strictly used for the car. When the car is in, the ball isn't in the way, since it's just sitting on the windshield. When the car is out, it just hangs there. Occasionally I might work on a bike in there or sweep, but then it is a simple matter to grab the ball and lift it up and hang it on a hook.

I think that a board bolted to the floor would be far far more of a hazard. (tripping, kids hit it with a bike, etc)

...art
    "It's Not About You."

I use this system and it is the greatest!

My wife drives in front first, and I back in. I trained (park each car where you want it and simply adjust each lamp) each light to hit the center of each instrument cowl and we always park 'spot on'. I plugged the AC 'brick' into the unused outlet from the garage door opener and have great service from it. Highly recommended!

Last edited by Frank Townend; 01-30-2009 at 9:34 AM.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Frank, thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered one.

My pleasure Dick. I've had mine for a couple of years now and day in, day out it does exactly what I want it to do.

Also when we trade the two Bentleys in for two Rolls Royces all I have to do is re-aim.

I have them aimed so well we each park 1" to 2" from the garage door. Makes it very easy to get to the trash can and recycle bins, etc.

Watch yourself on that ladder in your garage and don't let anyone open the garage door with you up a ladder.
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 01-30-2009 at 3:55 PM.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

14. Anybody ever thought of hanging an eye bolt from the ceiling, threading the string for the tennis ball through it and then wrapping the other end around the torsion bar that runs above the door at the header? Close the door, ball goes up, open the door, line unwraps on the bar and drops to windshield level......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did at one time think about going the tennis ball route Darren, but...
    If you get a new/different car, you have to move all the components to new locations. I just have to re-aim the laser.
    I agree with your plan but always felt that ball would spook me if I ran it to it. The ball at the ceiling works if the door is closed, but some of doing stuff in the garage leave the door open.