Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage laser parking system

twist on the ball trick.

One day, in ND when it was like something below zero, my wife got in the car, which was in the garage. When she heard the garage door stop opening she backed out and took out the garage door. For some unknown reason it had stopped before it was all the way open.

I had the ball hanging trick, but now I wanted a way to know if the door was all the way open without having to turn around. I got a couple of pulleys, and some string. I wound the string around the shaft for the garage door and thru the pulleys and to the ball so the ball was in the right spot when the door was all the way open. As the door closed it pulled the ball up out of the way.

Now, if the ball does not come down and hit the spot, we knew not to back out. And wouldn't you know it, the door never stopped llike that again. But my buddies and me did have a few beers over this so it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    I did at one time think about going the tennis ball route Darren, but...
    If you get a new/different car, you have to move all the components to new locations. I just have to re-aim the laser.
    Sorry, Frank, but I find this funny.

It's too much work to get the ladder, climb the ladder, and move the screw/eyebolt/whatever that holds up the ball.
    So instead you get the ladder, climb the ladder, and fiddle around moving the laser pointer.
    Did I get that right?

"It's Not About You."

You really might want to rethink this. If you can park in your garage you clearly don't have enough tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post

It's too much work to get the ladder, climb the ladder, and move the screw/eyebolt/whatever that holds up the ball.
    So instead you get the ladder, climb the ladder, and fiddle around moving the laser pointer.
    Did I get that right?

I really have to agree. Plus, with a ball, you don't ALSO have to get the ladder, climb the ladder and change the batteries every so often.

I really like gadgets and technology but this seems really kind of froofie to me.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post

Did I get that right?

In all fairness you did get that right Art, but sparing the work wasn't an issue. While a hanging tennis ball is 100% effective, the point in space where you want it to be can be a little tricky. Sure hang it from a mini eye bolt, shorten or lengthen the string for the new position and you are done. I don't have a heck of a lot less work, but aiming the laser beam really is a very simple matter. I also get to aim the laser beam from the side of the car, you have to be over the car to get the tennis ball right in one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keehn View Post
    You really might want to rethink this. If you can park in your garage you clearly don't have enough tools.
    Bill, your comment is the only one in this thread that is totally correct. Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    I really have to agree. Plus, with a ball, you don't ALSO have to get the ladder, climb the ladder and change the batteries every so often.

I really like gadgets and technology but this seems really kind of foolish to me.
    But, I a geek Mark. The garage parking laser system plugs into the spare outlet for the garage door opener and has battery backup. (Not that the battery backup does any good without the electricity to close the door). I also have sensors on the doors that transmit to my closet that show me if the doors are open or closed, to solidify my geek status.

My original response to Bob's question wasn't about the merits of one system over any other, just about a response to his specific questions about experience with Garage laser parking systems.
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 02-01-2009 at 1:21 PM.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."