Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layed Off

Ross,

My prayers are with you. But hopefully in a short time you will feel as I do now, that it was a blessing in disguise. I got laid off in Oct 07 and have been self emplyed ever since. Somedays it is stress fully but you learn to flow with it. But baring some real catastrophy I have no plans to ever return to the normal 8-5 grind. I had a real good 08 but 09 has started off SLOW and dissapointing. As with another poster somedays I work 14 hours the next day 2 hours. It is really nice. My brother is a electrical engineer and got laid off yesterday they gave him 1 hour to clean out his things. I will say the same thing I told him, Keep your head high and it will all turn out better in the long run. God Bless

Having been through five layoffs, it always got better after each one. Good luck in your search!
    The world's newest weekend woodworker. I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.

my husband and my son are in the danger zone as well and we don't know when the axe will fall.... i am very sorry that you had this happen and wish you and yours all the best of luck....you are lucky you have woodworking abilities.... if you fill out your profile maybe one of us will hear of a job in your area of expertise in your town and contact you....

Ross, my prayers are with you.

Maybe you could post some information on what kind of things you can do with your machines. That way I and others can keep an eye out for when we can use your services.

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sorry to hear that Ross.
    Stay strong, things WILL get better!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ross, as a veteran of the electronics industry I have been through 6 layoffs. The first one was the hardest emotionally, by the last one I had learned not to spread too many personal things out on the desk. Ya gotta be able to carry it all out in one trip cuz they may not let you have two trips in and out that door lol. After number 4 was when my wife and I decided to get our laser engraver. We knew up front that there was a learning curve and that we would need to practice to get good. Now, it is paying for itself part time while we both work. But, I know that soon there will be another hit on the Tech industry here in Austin, Texas and at least I will be prepared. The next lay off may be my last one as by then I believe I will be able to support myself and pay my fair share of the expenses with our business.
    Here we are seeing recent layoffs by Dell, Texas Instruments, 3M, Freescale, National Instruments, and IBM. Those are the big players, there are so many small companies that are laying off a small percentage of their workforce simply because the big guys are doing it and it all rolls down hill. What most people dont think about is that for every job that is lost from one of the big players there are also jobs lost from the smaller companies that supply those big guys.

So, as many others have said before me, Keep your head up, your spirits high, and a positive attitude. Good luck in your business. BTW if you are planning on going for another 9-5, remember it is much easier to find a job when you have one. Start looking now. Don't wait till you are desperate for income. Those that are hiring seem to be able to smell desperation.

Hang tough Ross. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'd sad to hear that you're one of the growing number. Things are tough for way too many folks.

It's very true that the 60 day notice is pretty extraordinary. My employer tends to give folks subject to force management about two weeks for a "pencils down" outplacement before going off payroll, but most folks get the immediate heave-ho. Like Chris said, this can be an opportunity, so best wishes to you as you sort things out!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keep your head up.

I got the axe November 15 and managed to get a new one by the middle of December.

Blog Entries
    Way too much of this going on. Good luck and keep on pushin'
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was laid off December 29th and am very bored surfin the net all day, I wish I had a small woodworking business
    Kurt

I hope things work out for you.

I had been happily self-employed for 15 years until 4 months ago. My other business pulled me through some tough times in the past. Then I decided to start a small woodworking business with 1 employee about 4 years ago. I would be debt free instead of being at the point of bankruptcy now with both businesses drained, working at a long hour-low pay job I hate, if I had not started the woodworking business.
    Last edited by David Freed; 01-31-2009 at 12:48 AM.