Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layed Off

Layed Off

Well I just got my warn notice from work today, so in 60 days I am going to have to completly rely on my laser engraver.
    Your prayers will be appretiated!

Best of luck Ross. At least you have something to fall back on w/ that laser!

Stay positive.

Travis

Ross,

Prayers for you and yours. And good luck with the venture.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Blog Entries
    At least they were kind enough to give you serious advance notice... 60 days is significant. Many people walk in one day and find their computers locked.

Good luck with the biz, and I hope you're able to get everything together in time to keep a useful income stream.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Good luck Ross. I was laid off two weeks before our second son was born so I can appreciate the stress. Hopefully, it will be a blessing in disguise and your business will really take off.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Ross

Best of luck.

How about filling out your profile so we know where you're located.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Lowry View Post
    Well I just got my warn notice from work today, so in 60 days I am going to have to completely rely on my laser engraver.
    Hi Ross,

I have been my own boss (and boss to others) for more than 30 years. The biggest hurdle I had was taking that first step to realize I did not need a steady job to survive. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Set goals and stay focused on them and when it gets tough and people around you are saying, "it is time to quit and get a job," you will almost be there. That is the test-point.

Forge beyond there and I assure you, you will never work for anyone else again. The people that fail in these ventures are the ones that quit at that test-point and it is easy to do because it can be really tough right then.

Good luck and remember you have a great bunch of colleagues and friends here to help push you along if you feel things are bogging down.

I wish you EVERY success in the coming year.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

I got my "notice" about 2 years ago, I thought I was lucky, I got 5 days notice, but lost my retirement because of my age. ( I call myself retired, as I have no plans on returning to the corp. world.)
    I put a plan together and opened a store in the local mall.
    I have kept a roof over my head and food on the table, so it is not all bad.

We are still trying new things looking for the right product for our area, and keeping an open mind for all the new ideas we see.

I am at one of the test-points Dave talked about at this time. Our lease is up, and the new mall management is not very willing to work with people. In fact there has been a very fast exit of shops and services from this mall. Plus as we have settled in, some of the equipment we have bought was not ideal, but we have managed to make it all work together somehow.

If we find a sutable location in the next few months we will move and set up and continue. (Our current home is currently not an option.)

All in all, I still am glad I got my notice and I enjoy working on my own.

Good luck Ross,
    I've been on my own for about 10 years now and if I can give one piece of advice it's to be proactive in getting work. It won't come knocking on your door. Especially now.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Good luck

Ross
    My prayers and hopes are with you. Many of us have gone through what you are going through, and most of us have made it just fine. This is just another chapter in your life and now it is going to be what you make of it. Keep your spirits up, and do not get the dreaded depression demons get to you. You made money for someone else not it's your turn to reap the rewards of your own efforts. Try as you may to remain positive even in this economy. You have a great tool to get you going so utilize it and ask for help when you need it. We all need help at one time or another.
    Dr. Rags

I managed a body shop until 02 when I was replaced by the owners son (my God son), it was a surprise.
    Looking back it was one of the best things that happened to my career. I am now fully self employed or semi retired as my wife calls it and love it some times I work 80 hrs a week sometimes I work 15 -20hrs just depends, it did take a few years to get to the comfortable point.
    Thank You
    Ed

Good luck Ross. Believe in yourself and you'll be half way there.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks to all for your prayers and great advice.
    All I can say is thank God for the Warn Act otherwise I would not of had 60 days notice.
    Cessna layed around 600 off the first time, this time was 4600 employees, and they are still having a 7 week furlow and still are talking about possible more layoffs in the future.
    Hopefully this economy picks up because its not just the aircraft getting hit!
    I am praying for all those that have lost their jobs.

Best of luck finding something or getting called back soon. Around here there's way too much of that going on, Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks,
    and Eddie Bauer to name a few bigger ones. So far our family has been OK, my daughter was in the first round at WAMU but found a new job right away, then just before they would have layed her off she got married and went to Italy with her husband. He's survived the latest round with Boeing, but we are all nervous.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

This is simply an OPPORTUNITY, Ross! Jump in with both feet!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.