Thread: Latest Project - Shop Built Tube Amp

1. Latest Project - Shop Built Tube Amp

This was the latest project finished. It was a joint effort between myself in Houston, and a good friend who is an electronics engineer in Charleston WV. It's a Tube Amplifier using 6V6 valves based on the Tweed 5E3 Design.
    I rounded up most of the electronics, and shipped my friend the bag of goodies and he assembled it and shipped it to me, I wrapped it with the carcass and shipped it back to him. We're using this one as kind of a demo model and he's using it at some of his gigs that he plays to generate interest. So, if any of you are boutique amp enthusiats, let me know.

The electronics layout is unique as it is mounted on a chasis to display the electronic components and the cabinet was designed in a fashion to 'peer into' the inside of this amp when it is in operation as well as emit a soft glow. The materials are red oak on the sides and blonde ply on the tops and bottoms. The wood faceplate is 1/8th inch door skin. Though it looks simple, It was a chore to build the cabinet to where you could remove it to service the electronics underneath the chassis and I had to take into consideration that the tube's glass surfaces reached 300F, so heat was also a factor in design. I need to contact him and get a picture of it in action though.

Very nice. For some reason the chassis made me think of a flip top Ampeg that a guy I used to play with in HS had. But it's been 35 years since I've seen one and I wasn't very close
    http://music.jondreyer.com/ampeg/index.html
    So how does it sound?
    Use the fence Luke

3. Connected to a Jensen 12" external speaker, it's plenty loud. Has a warm organic tone that you can only get out of a tube amp. It's excellent for jam sessions and live small gatherings. Most people that are accustomed to modern amp technologies cannot believe that this thing is only rated at 30 watts. But with 700Volts on the grid, the effeciencey is spot on.

Most folks don't know that warm sound doesn't depend upon a lot of power...it's how the sound is routed and modified by the amp that does the trick! And with a master gain, you can get as clean or raunchy as you want without knocking down the house.

Very nice project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Nice work Jose. I'm betting that thing will sound awesome....classic sound from that design.

I built a smaller Fender Champ/P1 Extreme variation for my son about 18 months ago....interesting project for sure!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Sweet,I love the sound of a tube amp. I sure miss my old Harmon Kardon stereo amp from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Kilpatrick View Post
    Most people that are accustomed to modern amp technologies cannot believe that this thing is only rated at 30 watts.
    True story. My Fender Deluxe Reverb (all tube + tube rectifier) is only rated at 22 watts but it gets LOUD . With no master volume it gets gritty when you turn up the gas but that's the sound I like. Considering a ten fold power increase will only double the volume, low wattage is fine if you can live with distortion. If you need sparkly clean sound the high wattage is a must for clean headroom.

Now I'm getting jazzed to build another guitar...............
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    ... Considering a ten fold power increase will only double the volume, ...
    That's why they make these
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_eleven
    Use the fence Luke

I have a customer that is way off into tube amps that he builds, all gold connections and such. He has speakers that are designed to work with what is there and the sound with vinyl is awesome.

I made him cabinets to hide the stuff so his wife didn't have to look at it, for $14,000 plus install. Heck of a stereo cabinet!

I have a pair of Crown 2000w amps and preamp with studio moniters, and his sounds better.....

I made a Dynaco back in the day, and wish I still had it.

Nice stuff! Congrats.

Jose, you are my hero! I toyed with this idea a long time ago and realized I would fail miserably. Instead I bought an 1958 HH Scott 222A integrated (with wood cabinet!) and it sounds amazing and impresses everyone. In addition, it helps heat the living room!

I have a friend who completely rebuilds old radios and victrolas. His house is like a museum and he even has a little transmitter to broadcast old radio shows to his cabinet sized blue eye... radios. It's a really neat hobby for those who are interested in both electronics and wood working/refinishing/restoring. I bet you would be great at that too.

11. Thanks Dean. It was a fun project.