All Right Guys, I can't comment on the "Latte" but there is a slight confusion as to psi and vacuum terms in this thread. Most of the right words are here, just not exactly in the same thread. So here goes. 0 psi(g) =14.7psi(a)=0inhg=30inhg(abs). It's really easy to drop the psia and inhg abs designators, however they are critical because they are essentially the inverse of each other at atmospheric pressure. Generally when referring to Vacuum the unit of measure is inhg,or 0"hg at atmosphere and a theoretical 30"hg at complete vacuum and pressure is expressed as psi or psig(pounds per square inch gauge), with there being 0 psig at atmospheric pressure . The psia and inhg abs are a little more specific to certain fields, as Ken stated aeronautics being one of them, and in my field, nuclear instrumentation being another. It was cool to see Bob's post about "torr". Liquid nitrogen pressure is also measured in torr. Where'd you do the dry cask Bob? I just came back from North Anna in Virginia and saw the Dry cask there. We're getting ready to do it at Millstone here in Connecticut.
Getting back to George's original question, the answer is yes a vacuum pump is a vacuum pump, the only difference being how quickly the pump can pull vacuum and how far down in "inhg" it can go.